Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: If you think you have a messy desktop...
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
huh Apr 1, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:

I agree that the first few prize-winners are beyond the pale, but if this is supposed to be messy, I'm the Queen of England:
http://i.gizmodo.com/photogallery/messydesks/1007770240

That looks a lot like mine, minus the cigarrettes. The rest of the room, though, is another matter entirely...

@Viktoria: that's what I always say! Please don't mess around with my mess, because I know exactly where everything is...:D:D

Greetings
Andrea

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
French to English
+ ...
Exactly! Apr 2, 2009

@Viktoria: that's what I always say! Please don't mess around with my mess, because I know exactly where everything is...:D:D

My desk may look like a bomb went off to others, but honestly, I know exactly where everything is and I like the fact that things are "within reach" when I need them (and don't have to go digging through folders, drawers, etc. to get them). I really do not think I could handle working at one of the sterile-clean desks - I often wonder if those people actually get any work done, it looks like nothing ever happens there!
But what annoys me the most is when people (OK, generally my husband) feel they can add more stuff to my desk - it's MY organized mess, not theirs, and the extra stuff really does throw me off.

[Edited at 2009-04-02 07:31 GMT]

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
French to English
+ ...
Exactly! Apr 2, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:

My desk may look like a bomb went off to others, but honestly, I know exactly where everything is and I like the fact that things are "within reach" when I need them (and don't have to go digging through folders, drawers, etc. to get them). I really do not think I could handle working at one of the sterile-clean desks - I often wonder if those people actually get any work done, it looks like nothing ever happens there!
But what annoys me the most is when people (OK, generally my husband) feel they can add more stuff to my desk - it's MY organized mess, not theirs, and the extra stuff really does throw me off.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
French to English
+ ...
no Apr 2, 2009

French Foodie wrote:
Angela Dickson wrote:

(no, I didn't say that! but it is, in fact, true of me too).

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
French to English
One of the big advantages of freelancing.... Apr 30, 2009

...is that you don't have a boss evaluating you based partly on how clean or messy your desk is. That was one of the things I hated most about being a secretary/administrative assistant, especially when the evaluation was taking place in the boss' office, across his own not-very-neat desk.

One guy said, "You know, people tend to think, 'Cluttered desk, cluttered mind.'"

My response, which I (wisely) refr
... See more
...is that you don't have a boss evaluating you based partly on how clean or messy your desk is. That was one of the things I hated most about being a secretary/administrative assistant, especially when the evaluation was taking place in the boss' office, across his own not-very-neat desk.

One guy said, "You know, people tend to think, 'Cluttered desk, cluttered mind.'"

My response, which I (wisely) refrained from vocalizing was, "I wonder what they'd say about an empty desk."

I'm not cut out to be a secretary (even if I can find the scissors.) Neat desks are not what I'm about. As long as the desk makes sense to me, I *don't care* how clean it is! I'm a member of the "I know where everything is" school, so I've had many desks that resemble the ones in the photo. At the moment my desk, which my husband and I share, is fairly neat *because* it's shared. The rest of the apartment, however......

Kathryn

[Edited at 2009-04-30 17:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-30 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you think you have a messy desktop...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »