Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Famous Quotes in your language?
Thread poster: yonedatransterp
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Variant of Eleni's and another to link to the weaker members of our profession Sep 4, 2009

1. It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

2. Groucho Marx: "I wouldn't want to join any club that would accept me as a member."
(I wouldn't want to work for any agency that would accept me as a translator?)

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
another variant Sep 4, 2009

Jack wrote:
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

In Spanish we have: "En boca cerrada no entran moscas": literally, a closed mouth doesn't gather flies... imagine that! The meaning is the same.

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Chechens Sep 4, 2009

'Delhit ugš
Thro delx ajmun dac
Tho laman nah du
Tho nohči du'

'Let the stones cry
We don't know how to cry
We are the mountain people
We are the Chechens'

Raúl Casanova
Raúl Casanova  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:59
English to Spanish
In memoriam
Boca y oídos Sep 5, 2009

Dios nos hizo con una boca y dos orejas, tal vez con la secreta intención de enseñarnos a escuchar el doble de lo que hablamos.
God made us with a single mouth and two ears. May be his secret purpose was to give us the oportunity to hear twice as much as we can speak.

Anita du Plessis
Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 08:59
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Lies Sep 5, 2009

A man that has to find refuge in a lie, most often find that he has hidden in a house with no back door.

'n Man wat sy toevlug tot 'n leuen moet neem, vind dikwels dat hy in 'n huis gaan skuil het wat nie 'n agterdeur het nie. C.J. Langenhoven, famous Afrikaans writer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Famous Quotes in your language?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »