Off topic: Translator's Jargon Glossary
Thread poster: Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:14
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I think it's high time we created a translator's jargon glossary. Below are some of my suggestions. Any contribution will be appreciated.

911-client - a client who always rushes and always sends urgent, same-day or same-hour projects.
black board - the list of outsourcers with a Blue Board rating below 3.
blackhole - one of those translation agencies, where your invoices always get lost in the accou
... See more
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I think it's high time we created a translator's jargon glossary. Below are some of my suggestions. Any contribution will be appreciated.

911-client - a client who always rushes and always sends urgent, same-day or same-hour projects.
blackhole - one of those translation agencies, where your invoices always get lost in the accounting, and you have to remind them multiple times and resend the invoices.
bodybuilder - a translation agency that creates huge translator databases but never or almost never has a job.
bottled text - a translation that requires keeping pages, lines or even word lengths the same as in the original, e.g., forms, cell-phone messages, etc.
bouncing project - a translation project in which the client keeps asking you to change a word or two in the translation, add or remove something, because the end client constantly makes changes in the original.
but-payer - an agency that eventually pays you, but you have to remind them a hundred times.
darning - updating of a previously translated text by another translator.
downgrading - editing of a translation that results in an inferior quality.
potential outsourcer - someone who keeps posting potential jobs for potential projects, but never has a real job.
instinctive editing - editing by a person who doesn't know the rules of the language and relies merely on his/her native feeling.
miscorrection - a correction that changes the correct word or phrase and suggests a wrong one.
package translation - translation + editing + proofreading + DTP by the same person.
paratranslator - someone who knows a foreign language and thinks that it is enough to be a translator.
ragline text - a text that consists of short, elliptical phrases, like in PowerPoint presentations, which take much more time to translate but is never paid a higher rate than normal text.
rephraser - an editor who rephrases the sentences rather than editing the translation.
transformatting - translation of a text that requires heavy formatting.
U-translation - back translation.
N-translation - translation of a text translated from another language.
S-translation - translation of a text written by a non-native of source language.
I-translation - direct translation.
L-translation - translation by a non-native speaker of target language.
V-translation - translation split between more than one translator.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:14
French to German
+ ...
Excellent, Henrik! Sep 24, 2009

My small contribution:

Mahler syndrom: client (agency/direct) shouting "Too expensive!" even before posting the job.
T-translation: translation that ends in... a dead-end (not finalised, translator going through many loopholes only to hear that project was abandoned) - from a T-shaped road sign being used in Germany to warn about blind alleys.
ER client: client thinking that every translation, no matter how badly injuried/maimed, can be saved from de
... See more
My small contribution:

Mahler syndrom: client (agency/direct) shouting "Too expensive!" even before posting the job.
T-translation: translation that ends in... a dead-end (not finalised, translator going through many loopholes only to hear that project was abandoned) - from a T-shaped road sign being used in Germany to warn about blind alleys.
ER client: client thinking that every translation, no matter how badly injuried/maimed, can be saved from death if the ER translator spends 24 hours (or even 1 more minute) on it.

[Edited at 2009-09-24 19:11 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
A quick addition Sep 24, 2009

Small, quick additions:

CA = Contract addict, i.e. one of these clients who believes that one cannot do business without a three-page contract with at least 25 paragraphs.

HF = High flyer, i.e. someone so impressed with his business model and web page that he projects him as saviour, to which everybody (including the translator) should bow in awe and who is very often inexperienced and arrogant, benignly distributing 'projects' to 'hungry translators'.

SD =
... See more
Small, quick additions:

CA = Contract addict, i.e. one of these clients who believes that one cannot do business without a three-page contract with at least 25 paragraphs.

HF = High flyer, i.e. someone so impressed with his business model and web page that he projects him as saviour, to which everybody (including the translator) should bow in awe and who is very often inexperienced and arrogant, benignly distributing 'projects' to 'hungry translators'.

SD = Slave driver, treating the freelance translator as an employee.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
MBLW client Sep 24, 2009

What a great thread, Henrik!

I propose the MBLW, or More Bureaucracy Less Work client; as the more forms/contracts a customer has you fill in and sign, the less work they normally have...

Ania Silva
Ania Silva
Portugal
Local time: 03:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Brilliant idea (amusing way of telliing the truth) ! Sep 24, 2009

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

blackhole - one of those translation agencies, where your invoices always get lost in the accounting, and you have to remind them multiple times and resend the invoices.
bodybuilder - a translation agency that creates huge translator databases but never or almost never has a job.
bottled text - a translation that requires keeping pages, lines or even word lengths the same as in the original, e.g., forms, cell-phone messages, etc.
bouncing project - a translation project in which the client keeps asking you to change a word or two in the translation, add or remove something, because the end client constantly makes changes in the original.
but-payer - an agency that eventually pays you, but you have to remind them a hundred times.
darning - updating of a previously translated text by another translator.
downgrading - editing of a translation that results in an inferior quality.
potential outsourcer - someone who keeps posting potential jobs for potential projects, but never has a real job.
instinctive editing - editing by a person who doesn't know the rules of the language and relies merely on his/her native feeling.
miscorrection - a correction that changes the correct word or phrase and suggests a wrong one.
package translation - translation + editing + proofreading + DTP by the same person.
paratranslator - someone who knows a foreign language and thinks that it is enough to be a translator.
ragline text - a text that consists of short, elliptical phrases, like in PowerPoint presentations, which take much more time to translate but is never paid a higher rate than normal text.
rephraser - an editor who rephrases the sentences rather than editing the translation.
transformatting - translation of a text that requires heavy formatting.
U-translation - back translation.
N-translation - translation of a text translated from another language.
S-translation - translation of a text written by a non-native of source language.
I-translation - direct translation.
L-translation - translation by a non-native speaker of target language.
V-translation - translation split between more than one translator.

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
pdf junkie Sep 24, 2009

a client who just can't be bothered to send you a Word file.

Thanks for the happy diversion, Henrik!

Regards,
Marjolein

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:14
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
bottom feeder Sep 24, 2009

It's not my invention and it means the translator who lowers the rate to win the project.

Thanks for this great idea of translator's jargon glossary and contributions!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Bottom-feeder Sep 24, 2009

Mykhailo Voloshko wrote:

It's not my invention and it means the translator who lowers the rate to win the project.

Thanks for this great idea of translator's jargon glossary and contributions!

Bottom-feeder? This I believe would be a very old, outworn denomination... How about _peanuts eaters_?

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I like peanut-eaters Sep 24, 2009

and as a consequence, the underpaying outsourcers for whom they work would be 'monkey feeders'!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
HF = mmmmh Sep 24, 2009

Mats Wiman wrote:

HF = high flyer or high-falutin'? A known Italian car brand also used HF to symbolise High Fidelity... and it meant something, back in the '70ies and '80ies.

[Edited at 2009-09-24 19:03 GMT]

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:14
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
translater Sep 24, 2009

The translator that does not meet the delivery date.

And the one who makes an early delivery is a transooner

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My contribution Sep 24, 2009

Hypergooglification - the process by which translators (and KudoZ answerers) base their answers on Google hits alone.

Cattomania - the trend by which most clients insist on the use of CAT tools.

noitalsnart - a term I have coined for back-translation (read it backwards)

embromation - the practice of making words up when you do not know the translation. From the Portuguese "embromação".
[Example: Ich readen der Küdozseiten ävri Day]

Ma
... See more
Hypergooglification - the process by which translators (and KudoZ answerers) base their answers on Google hits alone.

Cattomania - the trend by which most clients insist on the use of CAT tools.

noitalsnart - a term I have coined for back-translation (read it backwards)

embromation - the practice of making words up when you do not know the translation. From the Portuguese "embromação".

Machintranslationophobia - what you feel after seeing a machine translation.

Depedeeify - transform a PDF file into Word.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Embromation Sep 24, 2009

Paul Dixon wrote:

Machintranslationophobia - what you feel after seeing a machine translation.

Embronation: I sempre be Ihr Diener, Sir, if you s'il vous plaît... beat la massima m***a out von mir.

Machintranslationophobia: goshamightyisthisalwaysgonnabelikethiswayhorribledespairingicantbelieveitforheavenssake even if the translator did *not use MT*... and only because the client was way tooooooo lazy to make out that one single text can have more than one translation.

[Edited at 2009-09-24 19:24 GMT]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
How about basic native? Sep 24, 2009

These characters declare themselves native in a language, but their activities on and off work (the latter include Kudoz performance and forum postings, among others) make it obvious that they have only a basic command of it, a truth also supported by the mistakes they make, which are... basic! Ah, and there's also the acidic native, who is a true native and deeply resents this situation

Bravo, Henrik! This will dev
... See more
These characters declare themselves native in a language, but their activities on and off work (the latter include Kudoz performance and forum postings, among others) make it obvious that they have only a basic command of it, a truth also supported by the mistakes they make, which are... basic! Ah, and there's also the acidic native, who is a true native and deeply resents this situation

Bravo, Henrik! This will develop into a wonderful project with a long life, I'm telling you!
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One more Sep 25, 2009

UR Translator - From Undisclosed Recipients, a translator who responds to massive translation email offers to get jobs.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Jargon Glossary

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »