Off topic: 'Lost In Translation' - The movie
Thread poster: Stathis_K
Stathis_K
Stathis_K
Local time: 08:32
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 20, 2003

After seeing 'Lost In Translation', I couldn't help wondering whether Japanese really uses so many words to convey even the simplest meaning. I'm talking about the part where they are shooting the advertisement and the director is giving directions to Bill Murray. I guess it was a bit exaggerated... Any other comments about the movie? I didn't like it, although I had a very positive feeling about it. I believe 'Virgin Suicides' was a far, far, far better and significant movie.

SusyZ
SusyZ  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:32
another perspective :-) Oct 21, 2003

I on the other hand went to see it, had no expectations, and enjoyed it Have you thought that maybe the translator did not translate "everything" she was supposed to? I agree that some of the scenes might have been over exagerated, but having my own diary of funny stories when I was learning English, I can honestly relate to them. Some parts of the movie carried ... See more
I on the other hand went to see it, had no expectations, and enjoyed it Have you thought that maybe the translator did not translate "everything" she was supposed to? I agree that some of the scenes might have been over exagerated, but having my own diary of funny stories when I was learning English, I can honestly relate to them. Some parts of the movie carried on too long and I did not feel they were that important, but people in the theater were laughing very loud throughout the entire movie.

I had asked a proz member who lives in Japan for his opinion but he explained that the movie won't arrive there for another 3-4 months. I know enough about Japanese culture and the language (my grandfather was from Japan and my father speaks the language. No, he has not seen the movie yet:-)) to say Japanese can be very wordy and complicated at times.

Can't comment on Virgin Suicides as I have not seen the movie but will look for it now. ¡Saludos!
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 08:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
Same here, you should have gone with no expectations! Apr 15, 2004

I thought it was going to be a lighthearted comedy about a guy lost in Japan.

The poster certainly suggested it -- Bill Murray looking his best in a Japanese hotel room.

Was I in for a surprise...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Lost In Translation' - The movie

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »