https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/173243-opposite_marriage.html

Off topic: Opposite Marriage??
Thread poster: Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 14, 2010

The 'beautiful' meaning of this word was given by Miss California during the 2009 Miss USA competition:

What a difference a word makes! After gossip blogger and pageant judge Perez Hilton asked Carrie Prejean whether she thinks every state should legalize gay marriage during the 2009 Miss USA competition, the Miss California contestant delivered a rambling, inarticulate response reminiscent of Miss South Carolina's hilariously bad geography gaffe (check it on: <
... See more
The 'beautiful' meaning of this word was given by Miss California during the 2009 Miss USA competition:

What a difference a word makes! After gossip blogger and pageant judge Perez Hilton asked Carrie Prejean whether she thinks every state should legalize gay marriage during the 2009 Miss USA competition, the Miss California contestant delivered a rambling, inarticulate response reminiscent of Miss South Carolina's hilariously bad geography gaffe (check it on: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww):

"Um, we live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there." Despite that last line, her answer prompted a shouting match in the pageant lobby. Afterwards, the Washington Post dubbed her term for marriage between members of the opposite sex a "classic phrase," if an infamous one.

Time Magazine
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:35
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Teenagers and very young people. It happens. Jun 14, 2010

Especially to those who are extremely busy with looking pretty. Happens all over the world. I have seen worse expressions enter official dictionaries.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not so inarticulate Jun 14, 2010

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:
...the Miss California contestant delivered a rambling, inarticulate response reminiscent of Miss South Carolina's hilariously bad geography gaffe.

Miss South Carolina's gaffe was pretty bad, and she certainly was inarticulate. Miss California, on the other hand, slipped up with 1 word and two phrases, and her answer was coherent. I don't think one can call it inarticulate. What I find stranger is that many web sites say that she was booed, but when I listen to the recording, I only hear applause. Perhaps American booing does sound like applause, but then... what does American applause sound like?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Same here. Jun 14, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:
...the Miss California contestant delivered a rambling, inarticulate response reminiscent of Miss South Carolina's hilariously bad geography gaffe.

Miss South Carolina's gaffe was pretty bad, and she certainly was inarticulate. Miss California, on the other hand, slipped up with 1 word and two phrases, and her answer was coherent. I don't think one can call it inarticulate. What I find stranger is that many web sites say that she was booed, but when I listen to the recording, I only hear applause. Perhaps American booing does sound like applause, but then... what does American applause sound like?

American applause sounds pretty much the same as any applause in any country. Also, don't forget that in this country with its highly complex rules of etiquette people will clap their hands out of courtesy and politeness - or mere pity, because neither girl can be considered the brightest crayon in the box.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Was that her real opinion? Jun 14, 2010

Or just what she thought she had to say in a pageant?

This (I mean pageants, which are sexist by nature) is one situation in which the politically correct thing to say (that you favour marriage of man and woman) is opposite to the politically correct thing to say in other venues (that you respect people's right to decide).

In any case, the question was absurd, as are pageants.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You are making an excellent point here, Tomás Jun 14, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Or just what she thought she had to say in a pageant?

This (I mean pageants, which are sexist by nature) is one situation in which the politically correct thing to say (that you favour marriage of man and woman) is opposite to the politically correct thing to say in other venues (that you respect people's right to decide).

In any case, the question was absurd, as are pageants.

Those kids / girls / young ladies are supposed to be "women of virtue" and to act as ambassadors of decency, modesty and what not. At the same time they are supposed to line up on stage and in front of a jury in bikinis. Pageants are absurd, indeed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opposite Marriage??

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »