Off topic: About deadlines
Thread poster: Lany Chabot-Laroche

Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:04
Member (2009)
English to French
Mar 3, 2011

I asked one of my clients today when he wanted the translation back.

He answered: "Take all the time it takes".

It made my day, just wanted to share that.icon_smile.gif

Martin Stranak  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:04
English to Czech
+ ...
And then... Mar 3, 2011

...people wonder, why the numbers of "wanna be" immigrants to Canada are so highicon_smile.gif

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
English to German
+ ...
Nice!! Mar 3, 2011

Could you please clone this one? icon_smile.gif

Darmali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:04
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Well... Mar 4, 2011

Just hope he doesn't do this when it concerns payment...

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
No worries Mar 4, 2011

He's a regular of mine, don't really have payment issues and I can pretty much charge what I want when it comes to special charges like DTP, we have a very good relation. A keeper that's for sure!

It's actually my ex's uncle that works for a huge company here. I'd play the family card, but the client stayed with me even though I left his niece. It's stricly professionnal now.

But yeah, if only the other ones could be like that, or if only this one sent me much much more work.

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Similar story Mar 4, 2011

One of my clients often tells me to return the jobs "whenever you can". No wonder it is my absolutely favourite client. By the way, I always try to finish the jobs as soon as I can and always get paid on time or even before.

Ines

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
So nice! Mar 4, 2011

I had a new agency (!!!) client a couple of weeks ago who not only said "It's not urgent" (which I felt like printing and framing), but also paid within 10 days.

There are some decent folks out there!

Have a good weekend,
Alison

Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 11:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
So refreshing Mar 4, 2011

After a zillion moans and groans about low rates, non-paying issues, expensive tools etc it's so good to see there still are things about those clients of ours that make us happy, tooicon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two weeks for 150 words Mar 4, 2011

A couple of days ago I received a 150-word job and two weeks to complete it. I had to ask (twice) to be absolutely sure!icon_smile.gif

I normally receive (from several customers at the same time) 700-word jobs for the same afternoon, 2,000 words for tomorrow, 6,000 words in two days, or 30,000 words for ten days, so this really generous deadline was quite refreshing.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:04
Member (2008)
French to English
Silent majority Mar 4, 2011

Valery Kaminski wrote:

After a zillion moans and groans about low rates, non-paying issues, expensive tools etc it's so good to see there still are things about those clients of ours that make us happy, tooicon_smile.gif

And hopefully they're actually the silent mjority.

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia
Australia
Local time: 18:04
English
+ ...
that's wonderful Mar 4, 2011

What a wonderful clienticon_smile.gif

I can relate - one of my clients always says "take all the time you need to do a great job". The understanding is, of course, that he wants it back as soon as possible, but not so soon that I rush it and don't give it due attention. (I often translate his sales pitches, and presentations, so it has to be good). And he always pays within 2 weeks, very nice!

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
More! Mar 17, 2011

Just got this from a relatively new client (2nd project) when I told him his 300 word text would be ready tomorrow morning if not today.

"I refuse, that's too fast!"

icon_smile.gif

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Well... Mar 17, 2011

I don't want to raise the stakes or make anyone jealous, but I have this long time client... Her documents come with a very reasonable deadline, a proofreader who is nothing less than a mentor, answers within minutes to any question at anytime of the day, and a pay check in the mail within 2 days of emailing the invoice... I'm talking of two weeks of serious work, but really, dream conditions and a dream client! I thank God and I cross my fingers...

Anne Walseth  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 18, 2011

John Fossey wrote:

Valery Kaminski wrote:

And hopefully they're actually the silent mjority.

I have to agree, it really is refreshing to hear theses stories, too. Having just started out in the freelancing world, reading through various Proz fora, I have prepared myself for clients giving impossible deadlines and never paying, or only after a very long time. So it is good to see that there is also another side to it, it is just not mentioned very often.

So thank you for brightening my day, and for giving me faith in existing and potential clients and their willingness/ability to be cool.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How urgent is urgent? Mar 18, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I normally receive (from several customers at the same time) 700-word jobs for the same afternoon, 2,000 words for tomorrow, 6,000 words in two days, or 30,000 words for ten days

That is normal, yes. It explains why I nearly deleted an email I received today but didn't see until a few hours later. It was marked "urgent". In fact, it was 400 words for Monday 11am. Time for 10 of those!

Nice thread! After all the terrible things on our TV screens just lately, it's nice to have something cheerful to discuss.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About deadlines

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search