Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Seen any good taglines lately?
Thread poster: Suzan Hamer

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:35
English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2011

I have to admit tagline envy. I've seen some rather clever taglines here on ProZ that make me wish I'd said that first. My favorite was one I saw years ago as a new member: "The word is my oyster."

Some others: "Accurate / Fast / Cheap -- Pick Two."
"Typos leap out at me." (Hmmm... maybe I could get away with snatching this one and revising it: "Typos leep out at me".....?)
"Words matter."
"Language is the dress of thought ..."

Of course, some worry me:
"I'm careful."
"Grandiose, Experienced Proofreader."
"Away with words."
"Doing things to words."
"Natives Do It Twice."
"Full-fledged."
"Swimming in the fields of words....."

My own: "Fussy editing for fussy people."

What's yours?

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My latest Nov 29, 2011

Suzan Hamer wrote:

I have to admit tagline envy. I've seen some rather clever taglines here on ProZ that make me wish I'd said that first. My favorite was one I saw years ago as a new member: "The word is my oyster."

Some others: "Accurate / Fast / Cheap -- Pick Two."
"Typos leap out at me." (Hmmm... maybe I could get away with snatching this one and revising it: "Typos leep out at me".....?)
"Words matter."
"Language is the dress of thought ..."

Of course, some worry me:
"I'm careful."
"Grandiose, Experienced Proofreader."
"Away with words."
"Doing things to words."
"Natives Do It Twice."
"Full-fledged."
"Swimming in the fields of words....."

My own: "Fussy editing for fussy people."

What's yours?

My latest effort is "WYSIWYG"...

Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My envy grows. Nov 29, 2011

neilmac wrote:

My latest effort is "WYSIWYG"...

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mine is a bit longer Nov 29, 2011

but: Translation – So much more than substituting language A with language B

My clients seem to like it .

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 17:35
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Very funny! Nov 29, 2011

Suzan, just this morning (before seeing this thread!) I was thinking of the fast-cheap-accurate tagline. The owner sure got a lot of mileage out of this one in terms of forum discussions (try a search of the archives...)

I've stuck with my original, Canada's Official Languages. Maybe I should dress it up a it, inject a little humour; but from what I read on the net and in the press, Canadians are not known for their thigh-slappers. I understand we're viewed as a staid and boring bunch, so perhaps I'll leave well enough alone

[Edited at 2011-11-29 13:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-29 13:44 GMT]

Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do too. Nov 29, 2011

Theo Bernards wrote:

but: Translation – So much more than substituting language A with language B

My clients seem to like it .

Another one I wish I'd thought of first.....

Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What am I missing? Nov 29, 2011

NancyLynn wrote:

Suzan, just this morning (before seeing this thread!) I was thinking of the fast-cheap-accurate tagline. The owner sure got a lot of mileage out of this one in terms of forum discussions (try a search of the archives...)
Which one?

I've stuck with my original, Canada's Official Languages. Maybe I should dress it up a it, inject a little humour; but from what I read on the net and in the press, Canadians are not known for their thigh-slappers. I understand we're viewed as a staid and boring bunch, so perhaps I'll leave well enough alone

Jim Carrey and Mike Meyers staid???

Mailand  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
Never even thought of it .... Nov 29, 2011

Omigod, shoot .... I never even thought of having a tagline, I´m really out of it - now I have to have one! But if all the good ones are already taken - and in which language should it be?

Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the hard part. Nov 29, 2011

Mailand wrote:

Omigod, shoot .... I never even thought of having a tagline, I´m really out of it - now I have to have one! But if all the good ones are already taken - and in which language should it be?

Thinking of a really clever, eye-catching, client-grabbing one.

As for which language, this might help:

"If I am selling to you, I speak your language. If I am buying, dan mussen sie deutsch sprechen."
(Willy Brandt, former German Chancellor)

The only problem is you are limited to 40 characters. That only adds to the challenge.

Mailand  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
You got me hooked Nov 29, 2011

Thanks for the hint!
Yes, I caught the tagline bug ....
First I have to finish a job to be delivered by tonight, then nothing will stop me

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Hebrew to English
Have recently changed my tagline.... Nov 29, 2011

I've recently changed my tagline after many hours/days/weeks careful consideration. I've finally settled on

The enigma of language, deciphered.

I guess you'd have to know your World War 2 history to get the underlying reference.

It was sure better than my last tagline which I've had since joining which was rather un-imaginatively "Hebrew-English translator". So it's a step up I think.

Another one I saw a while ago which I quite liked was:

If I'm not online, I'm probably dead

And if anyone out there has read "The Prosperous Translator" they briefly discuss this with someone taking offence with one translator's tagline:

Fast, professional and cute

...(page 102) .....which I found quite hilarious. I'm always on the lookout for new taglines that make me chuckle.

...and I'm always envious of good ones too. Gonna stick with the one I got though for now before I give myself an aneurysm.

Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
English to Croatian
+ ...
And I've always thought... Nov 29, 2011

...who would pay attention to the taglines. Suzan, you're a champ!

Mine is from last millennium (and previous life, for that matter) and it's still my credo (whatever I do) not just a tagline for a web profile.

I love this topic Nov 29, 2011

Years ago while working in a staid (not really, NancyLynn) Canadian library, I added this to my name tag:

Linda is the name: information the game.

If we were voting, my vote would go to: Fast, professional and cute

Best wishes to ALL

lindaellen

Netherlands
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good ones, Ty. Nov 29, 2011

Ty Kendall wrote:

I've recently changed my tagline after many hours/days/weeks careful consideration. I've finally settled on

The enigma of language, deciphered.

I guess you'd have to know your World War 2 history to get the underlying reference.

It was sure better than my last tagline which I've had since joining which was rather un-imaginatively "Hebrew-English translator". So it's a step up I think.

Another one I saw a while ago which I quite liked was:

If I'm not online, I'm probably dead

And if anyone out there has read "The Prosperous Translator" they briefly discuss this with someone taking offence with one translator's tagline:

Fast, professional and cute

...(page 102) .....which I found quite hilarious. I'm always on the lookout for new taglines that make me chuckle.

...and I'm always envious of good ones too. Gonna stick with the one I got though for now before I give myself an aneurysm.

How I wish I had used Fast, professional and cute.... but I guess it would not have been truth in advertising, since I am none of those things, except professional (and fast in the sense of quick-witted, but that only sometimes and in the proper company...) On the other hand, I could have used If I'm not online, I'm probably dead with no qualms.... had I thought of it first.

And now a little quibble about yours (which I get only because of the BBC, and is brilliant Ty), The enigma of language, deciphered. I know you want the comma there to provide the appropriate pause before the "punchline".... however, I myself would delete it. Although as I post this I am sitting here like Oscar Wilde: "I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again".

And this may hijack the whole thread into a discussion about commas.

In case anyone is wondering why I have so much time to post today--I'm editing a short but nasty little text that I just cannot apply myself to.

[Edited at 2011-11-29 15:42 GMT]

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Hebrew to English
Comma concern Nov 29, 2011

I have to admit, the comma is causing me great concern. I am tussling with the idea of removing it, but just when I've become determined to remove it, I have second thoughts and leave it. Grrrr

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seen any good taglines lately?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search