From Lat. "Laetitia" to English "Queen Happiness"!
Thread poster: Susana E. Cano Méndez

Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:55
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2014

Queen Letizia (from Lat. "laetitia": "happiness"), at a Red Cross meeting, has been called "Felicity" insteadicon_smile.gif She has been so kind as to reply: "You can call me Queen Happiness". Wonderful translation story!

[link in Spanish]
http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2014/07/04/actualidad/1404478814_514726.html vía @el_pais

María González, M.A. ForLang
Spain
Local time: 03:55
English to Spanish
You can call me Happiness -- that's great! Oh, yeah! Jul 5, 2014

Just watched the video earlier today, and it was a nice surprise to hear Queen Letizia/Felicity/Happiness speak (basic) English quite fluently -- guess she had probably been rehearsing for days. Here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3oI7upilg#action=share

Rumor had it that Queen Letizia's English used to be awful, to the point of not being able to keep a short conversation with any of her husband's Greek relatives. Now I'm glad to see she's improvingicon_smile.gif

Have a good rest of the weekend, -M

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 04:55
Catalan to English
+ ...
Strange Jul 5, 2014

María González wrote:

Just watched the video earlier today, and it was a nice surprise to hear Queen Letizia/Felicity/Happiness speak (basic) English quite fluently -- guess she had probably been rehearsing for days. Here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3oI7upilg#action=share

Rumor had it that Queen Letizia's English used to be awful, to the point of not being able to keep a short conversation with any of her husband's Greek relatives. Now I'm glad to see she's improvingicon_smile.gif

Have a good rest of the weekend, -M

How could she possibly rehearse someone else's mistake?

BTW. She worked for international news agencies for years (Bloomberg, CNN PLUS); English is the norm in such places as the day-to-day working language - plus a stint in Mexico and the US.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Lat. "Laetitia" to English "Queen Happiness"!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search