Awful BBC translation
Thread poster: Timothy Barton

Timothy Barton
Local time: 18:41
French to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2005

In an article about the manager of Chelsea Football Club, José Mourinho, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4370919.stm) , it says:

But he [Mourinho] told Portuguese television: "I have the expectation of complete dismissal, complete dismissal."

"I have always been this way. Sincerely, I don't want to change and I want to finish up my career 12, 13 years from now at most, I want to finish it up this way.

"That is, to be loved by my own. And right now I am loved by the Chelsea fans and I don't worry hardly at all about other club's supporters. That's the way I am."

When I first read the comments, I just assumed it was a case of Senhor Mourinho's poor English, but then I noticed it said "he told Portuguese television", so one would assume he made the comments in Portuguese. I guess someone from Portuguese TV gave a "rough" translation to the BBC and they decided they couldn't edit it because it's a quote. I'd quite like to know how much the "translator" got paid. In fact, looking at it, it was quite possibly a machine. In any case, for a website like the BBC, this really is rather embarassing.

Direct link Reply with quote

Timothy Barton
Local time: 18:41
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Awful BBC translation - II Mar 26, 2005

The BBC have removed the badly translated quotes, although they remain on many websites, including The Independent.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awful BBC translation

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search