TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
English to German
+ ...
May 13, 2005

Hi,

Do you know this one?

http://www.fekids.com/img/kln/flash/DontGrossOutTheWorld.swf

This quiz allows you to test your knowledge of other cultures (about 10 countries around the world).

And if anybody could explain to me [or draw] a picture of a Flickenmasher® you would make me very happy.

Best regards,

Tanja

Direct link Reply with quote

Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
Flickenmasher® style May 13, 2005

The whole test looks Flickenmasher® style to me...

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
6 out of 11 May 14, 2005

And - how strange - my wrong answers concerned the European countries I've been to, not China, Japan etc. I've just realized that I probably made a bad impression in Germany, the UK, Spain etc.

xxxtr.
English to Italian
hmm I wouldn't rely on this advice May 14, 2005

Dump everything on the floor in bars in Spain, burp in Canada and slurp your noodles loudly in Japan? I'm going to let others try that out

I guess the guy who made the page was just having a laugh at the cliché of Americans not knowing anything about the rest of the world. The one about 'what do the English think of Americans who eat fried chickens with their hands', the 'chicken should be boiled, not fried' option... LOL!

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
But it is right! May 14, 2005

Traweb wrote:

Dump everything on the floor in bars in Spain, burp in Canada and slurp your noodles loudly in Japan? I'm going to let others try that out

Well, not more so often, but in some places in Spain is really so. I remember a bar where the only "Tapa" was snails. It was funny!

And with the "loudly noodles"...well how can you eat spaghetty with 2 sticks without turbo suction muscles

Rgds

Toledo

xxxtr.
English to Italian
ok I stand corrected ;) May 14, 2005

Toledo wrote:

Traweb wrote:

Well, not more so often, but in some places in Spain is really so. I remember a bar where the only "Tapa" was snails. It was funny!

Ouch! I can only imagine how messy that might be! Not to mention slippery...

I'd never noticed or heard about that, I thought it was either a joke or a generalisation. So it's an old tradition?

And with the "loudly noodles"...well how can you eat spaghetty with 2 sticks without turbo suction muscles

Heh, yes, that was a trick question, I guess.

I liked the one about ketchup in France. Who'd even think of asking for ketchup other than in a McDonalds or such?

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
The Polish question is really difficult. May 14, 2005

I never heard of it living here, but I am only 41.

On the other side, I know from many sources that Japanese do slurp.
http://www.brayden.org/twiki/bin/view/Random/NoodleNotes
I have never to Japan or hear a Japanese eating noodle...

Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Never heard of it either May 15, 2005

[quote]Robert Zawadzki wrote:

I never heard of it living here, but I am only 41.

This one was the only one I have failed to answer. Seems we Poles do not know our customs at all.;-)

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 22:35
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
it takes all kinds of people! May 15, 2005

Monica C. wrote:
Who'd even think of asking for ketchup other than in a McDonalds or such?

When I worked in a wine bar in Québec, serving mainly French cuisine, one day I served a plate of spaghetti with tomato-meat sauce to a young lady who then asked for ketchup - I couldn't believe my eyes, but she poured it on top of her tomato sauce.

Nancy

TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ketchup May 17, 2005

I liked the one about ketchup in France. Who'd even think of asking for ketchup other than in a McDonalds or such?

Well, there are some people around who want to eat ketchup with anything, e.g. some of our British friends, for example... even in nice restaurants...

And with regard to the question regarding Germany, I can only confirm that this is absolutely right. Cutting potatoes with a fork is part of our so-called "Knigge" for perfect behaviour.

Best regards,

Tanja

[Edited at 2005-05-17 14:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test you knowledge about other cultuers

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search