https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/32509-literature_on_videogames_translation.html

Off topic: literature on videogames translation
Thread poster: betiguiri
betiguiri
betiguiri
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2005

hey guys!
After 4 years of academic studies, none of my teachers has ever said a word about audiovisual translation. So, I decided to write my dissertation about videogames localization. Problem, I don't find enough resources and I have a looot of questions without answer. Could anybody help me? Any info is welcome. We could start with this one: Is there anyone who syncronizes the audio with the movement of the lips? Thanks a lot!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:43
English to French
+ ...
Maybe videogame designing companies May 19, 2005

Hi!

This is very interesting!

I suggest you try to have some people from videogame designing companies answer your questions for you. Depending on the size of the city you live in, you may have access to them fast and without much cost.

There is one here in Montreal. If you would like, I can get in touch with them to ask them your question(s). Canada being a bilingual country, they face the language problem right from the start.

Good luck!

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:43
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Lipsync May 19, 2005

I believe that - at least in some games - the lips are synchronized automatically using the written script (subtitles).

And I agree that you could get a lot of information from the localization managers in game companies. If they are not too busy, which they already are. I can give you some pointers if you contact me privately.

Will you publish your work on the Internet? It could be an interesting reading
... See more
I believe that - at least in some games - the lips are synchronized automatically using the written script (subtitles).

And I agree that you could get a lot of information from the localization managers in game companies. If they are not too busy, which they already are. I can give you some pointers if you contact me privately.

Will you publish your work on the Internet? It could be an interesting reading.
Collapse

betiguiri
betiguiri
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
needs more translation theory May 20, 2005

thanx!
It would be great to know which tools and techniques they use to translate, which kind of skills needs a translator to work in games localization the thing about lips synchronization and how they solve the problem of genre in the variables (like $object:0). But I don't want you to bother you, you are not obliged to ask! Anyway what I'm mainly missing is a theoretichal body that supports my writting, translation techniques, a text typology like in the other translation fields.I found
... See more
thanx!
It would be great to know which tools and techniques they use to translate, which kind of skills needs a translator to work in games localization the thing about lips synchronization and how they solve the problem of genre in the variables (like $object:0). But I don't want you to bother you, you are not obliged to ask! Anyway what I'm mainly missing is a theoretichal body that supports my writting, translation techniques, a text typology like in the other translation fields.I found a bunch of books about dubbing or subtitling but anything about this topic.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

literature on videogames translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »