Off topic: A new language: Canadian American!
Thread poster: Timothy Barton

Timothy Barton
Local time: 10:00
French to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2005

Anyone else notice this job advert?: http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/91030

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:00
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I think she meant Canadian English Oct 30, 2005

anglais canadien

Just a little mistake, is all

Nancy

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Last time I looked Oct 31, 2005

Canada was in America, wasn't it? North America, if you want to be picky...

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
As Britney Spears once has said: Oct 31, 2005

"I love traveling overseas! To Canada, for example."

And a university student (!) once declared that it was nice for the people in Berlin to be able to simply go on the other side of the wall and already be in China. Can you guess where the student was - or wasn't - from?

:D:D

[Edited at 2005-10-31 06:40]

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 11:00
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
It happens :) Oct 31, 2005

Some job posters and outsourcers just have no idea about the target language they're looking for. You should see some Arabic jobs posted from (let's say) English into: Baghdadi Arabic!!

Iraqi Arabic would make sense; but Baghdadi???

I mean, if the outsourcer indicated Iraqi Arabic, one would have thought of the Iraqi dialects for example, but who said that a translator working for Baghdadi newspaper for example wouldn't be able to handle a translation for another from Basra!!

Arabic language for example differs when it comes to slangs and dialects among Arabic countries. But classical Arabic; which is the written Arabic language, is the same all over those countries. Some terms and phrases may differ from one country to another of course, but it's still the same language that all Arabs understand at the end.

Similar posts may also have other meanings. The poster may be just asking for American English that may match or work out in Canada ... or vice versa.

If that job was listed as Baghdadi Arabic into English, it would have made much more sense. It's the way of asking the translator to being familiar with Arabic language - Iraqi Dialect - and Baghdadi Slang so as to be able to understand the source text. But even that wouldn't apply to all types of texts. Legal texts requires similar specifications for example, whereas medical texts don't.

On similar posts, I usually clarify that misunderstanding to the outsourcer within my quote submitted; although I'm always sure that no matter what, the outsourcer would eventually select a Baghdadi (in that specific case) to handle the job ... but I should try anyway

Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So what about Mexican American? Oct 31, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

So do Mexicans speak Mexican American?

The language is English. But unfortunately there seems to be a growing tendancy in France to distinguish between "anglais" (presumably refering to British English) and "Américain".

Tati Clau

English to Spanish
+ ...
Mexicans speak Spanish :) Oct 31, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:

Trudy Peters wrote:

The language is English. But unfortunately there seems to be a growing tendancy in France to distinguish between "anglais" (presumably refering to British English) and "Américain".

Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know! Oct 31, 2005

Tati Clau wrote:

Mexicans speak Spanish!

I know they do. That was precisely the point I was making. They speak (Mexican) Spanish, not Mexican American.

Canadians speak Canadian English, not Canadian American.

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Canadian Localisation Oct 31, 2005

OK, I have to really get into the fray on this one...;-) look at my slogan on my profile

To speak of my other language, Canadian French is different from European French; indeed, European French is a misnomer, because some Belgians, Swiss, Italians who speak French would tell you it sure is different from France French. Not in terms of general, business language, as Dina pointed out for Arabic, but for dialect. Dina, some would say Parisian French is its own

But Trudy, although Canada is in North America, America has long identified The United States of America. We Canadians are a different bunch, in terms of spelling (closer to British) and dialect (lots of French influence, too). And how about the accent??? If you could hear a conversation between Henry, president of proz, and myself, for example, you'd detect a serious difference. And yet we have little more than a border separating us.

The other day a woman phoned out of the blue, one of these sales by phone types, and I had to ask her where she was calling from. She told me Tampa. After asking her how they'd fared over the hurrican season, I told her she didn't have a Floridian accent. Oh no, she said, she was from Detroit. I said I recognised her to be American, but not Southern. She laughed and remarked on the difference in accent between her people and those in Windsor, just north of the border (they're like twin cities, Detroit and Windsor; look at a map).

As for respecting the border between Canada and the US, I would think Europeans would be very sensitive to that. I'm not Britney Spears. I know that to call a Dutchman a German would raise hackles.

Nancy

PS. If you ever see a TV programme called Talking to Americans, starring Rick Mercer, watch it. It's very educational
B,

Tati Clau

English to Spanish
+ ...
English not Spanish Oct 31, 2005

You were talking about English not about Spanish, that's why the example you gave 'Mexican American'was not clear in the general context and co-texts.

Anyway you chose a real linguistic topic to keep on discussing for a long time!

Have a nice day

Marjon van den Bosch  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
...and then there is "Spanglish" Oct 31, 2005

Spoken by an increasing number of immigrants from Mexico and Central America in the United States....

Marjon van den Bosch  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oxford Canadian English Dictionary Oct 31, 2005

FWIW, there are many interesting differences between Canadian English and American English. Check out the Oxford Canadian English Dictionary and fun books like Will and Ian Ferguson's "How to be a Canadian" with chapters like "How to talk like a Canadian."

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
You took the words from my mouth! Oct 31, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:

I was about to write exactly the same comment. and I guess Quebequers speak American French!

I think that all Timothy was trying to point out is how ignorant someone sounds (especially someone working in the languages field) when requesting a translation (or interpreter) to "Canadian American" because, all cultural influences aside, the correct term is "Canadian English".

[Edited at 2005-10-31 15:28]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Two peoples divided by a common language? Nov 1, 2005

It's a serious matter really!

Many years ago on a bus in Copenhagen, I heard a couple of schoolchildren discussing TV programmes. (Foreign programmes are not dubbed over here: they have Danish subtitles, and translating those is a speciality in itself...)

The first child said she could understand English on TV without looking at the subtitles. The slightly younger one was truly impressed: "You mean you can understand JR and the rest of them in Dallas?"

"Don't be silly, that's American - it's a completely different language!"

I wanted to give her a big hug and a choc-ice...

I said it was many years ago!

The amazing thing is that although I happily translate from Norwegian and Swedish to English on paper, I can't follow their national news and TV programmes! I find spoken German is far easier to follow, and try to pick up Swedish and Norwegian from the subtitles when they show English or American films!

I can understand why people ask for a translator who knows the right 'dialect' or whatever you call it.

[Edited at 2005-11-01 15:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new language: Canadian American!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search