Off topic: If the mountain won't come ....
Thread poster: Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2005

I'm wondering what Mrs Ciampi feels about this and I'm wondering what Mr Ciampi puts in his coffee - he's 85 years old for goodnessakes....

http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?doc=200511301545-1151-RT1-CRO-0-NF82&page=0&id=agionline-eng.italyonline

CIAMPI TAKES PART IN INTERNATIONAL MOUNTAIN DA
... See more
I'm wondering what Mrs Ciampi feels about this and I'm wondering what Mr Ciampi puts in his coffee - he's 85 years old for goodnessakes....

http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?doc=200511301545-1151-RT1-CRO-0-NF82&page=0&id=agionline-eng.italyonline

CIAMPI TAKES PART IN INTERNATIONAL MOUNTAIN DAY
(AGI) - Rome, Italy, Nov. 30 - President of the Republic, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, f*cked a delegation of people attending the international day of mountain at Quirinale palace this morning. Regional affairs minister, Sen Prof. Enrico La Loggia, FAO deputy director general, Doct. M. Hosny El-Lakany, Mountain friends association president, Sen. Dott. Augusto Rollandin, Italian foundation for mountains president, Doctor Giacomo Santini, representatives of FAO, regional affairs ministry and friends of mountain association and civil and religious authorities took part in the meeting this morning. After a short performance of the choir of Dolomites Rangers and after the welcome speeches made by Doctor M. Hosny El-Lakany, Sen. Rollandin and minister La Loggia, president Ciampi made a short speech then he gave a scroll and a medal to doctor Bruno Rambaudi, the deputy president of Turin 2006 Olympic games organization, Mrs Manuela Di Centa, Olympic champion of Ski, Mr Reinhold Messner, alpinist, Mr Alberto Tomba, ski champion, Architect Aldo Audisio, director of the national museum of mountain, Doct. Edoardo Mensi, president of the National Institute of Mountain, Eng. Maurizio Agnese, chief of forest rangers of Sicily region, Mr. Caniato, president of the consortium Skiarea Valchienna - Madesimo - Campo Dolcino, to father Luigi Ferlauto, director of the Centro Oasi, Doct. Giovanni Prestini, CELIT president, and to Mrs. Nives Meroi, Alpinist. (AGI) -
301545 NOV 05
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oops ...... Nov 30, 2005

Sure glad I'm not in that proofreader's shoes

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
What? Nov 30, 2005

Thanks for that Angela you naughty girl.
You've got me in stitches

“After a short performance of the choir of Dolomites Rangers”
Priceless
Gee
Some people will do anything for a vote

Btw looks like the article’s been pulled

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should hope so too! Nov 30, 2005

I did write to them and ask them to consider getting someone to revise it ...
I'm still trying to figure out what on earth it was a typo for.
Any ideas?
Angela

PS - it was spotted by some friends of mine at an embassy in Rome and they are now fighting over invites to President Ciampi's next cocktail party....

Jo Macdonald wrote:
Btw looks like the article’s been pulled

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Nice one! Nov 30, 2005

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 12:39
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Did he duck the delegation Nov 30, 2005

...in favour of a nap?

Nancy

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Speculation Nov 30, 2005

Angela Arnone wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what on earth it was a typo for.
Any ideas?

Well, it'll need one of you INS to figure it out, but I was thinking along the lines of 'brought pleasure to' / 'delighted' / 'pleased' ???

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
French to English
Are you sure you've got the right typo? Dec 1, 2005

If you replace "mountain" with "mounting", the whole thing makes perfect sense....

(OK, sorry, maybe we need a "could be offensive" marker for the forums as well...)

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 00:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just a guess Dec 1, 2005

The typo could either be "buck" (buck up) or Mr. excitement made an exceptionally good use of the V tablet.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
OK, I guess Charlie has spotted the typo correctly Dec 1, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

If you replace "mountain" with "mounting", the whole thing makes perfect sense....

(OK, sorry, maybe we need a "could be offensive" marker for the forums as well...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If the mountain won't come ....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »