https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/43088-read_and_laugh.html

Off topic: Read and laugh
Thread poster: Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 26, 2006

I once came across a website for freelance translators, a site quite similar to proz.com. One thing that was different is that you can actually read the bids of other people, the bids were really funny I thought I should share them with you, enjoy!

- Hello. I can translate from English to Swedish, if desired. I charge $0.02 per source word, $10/500 words. I can also try and proof read arabic translations, if you wish. Thanks.
- Hi ! I can translate from englsih to arabic and
... See more
I once came across a website for freelance translators, a site quite similar to proz.com. One thing that was different is that you can actually read the bids of other people, the bids were really funny I thought I should share them with you, enjoy!

- Hello. I can translate from English to Swedish, if desired. I charge $0.02 per source word, $10/500 words. I can also try and proof read arabic translations, if you wish. Thanks.
- Hi ! I can translate from englsih to arabic and french ! I have a long experience in translation to those languages ! So let me start the job and make you enjoying the result !
- I can translate more than 14 major International languages and can also take up work involving website translation. I am available during all holiday seasons, too. Depending on the type of work and/or the quantum thereof, my rate (per word) ranges between US$ 0.02 to US$ 0.10. Terms and methods of payment are also negotiable. Having more than 15 years experience should say quite a lot about my profile.
- I am very interested in translating your material into norwegian. As I'm new into working freelance I have no references to provide you, but would gladly do a sample translation of your material for you to assure you of my qualities as a translater.
- i can traslate your work in to any language you want
- Hi, I translate for the local norwegian commune and am much appreciated. I can translate upto ten pages a day without any faults.

I guess that's enough for now! Ciao!
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Member (2004)
English to Italian
A few of my favourites... Feb 26, 2006

- I offer my services in five language pairs.they are in, english, french, dauch,and spanish You can expect effient, and prompt service at a very negotiable rates. Please view my bids offer better regards,

- I am very interested in participating in this project. Rate of USD 0.03 per word of course negotiable.

- I am a native speaker of Chinese,and graduated from a prestigious university as an English major.I have been a freelance translator for four years.
... See more
- I offer my services in five language pairs.they are in, english, french, dauch,and spanish You can expect effient, and prompt service at a very negotiable rates. Please view my bids offer better regards,

- I am very interested in participating in this project. Rate of USD 0.03 per word of course negotiable.

- I am a native speaker of Chinese,and graduated from a prestigious university as an English major.I have been a freelance translator for four years. My rate is 0.01USD per word and the delivery date depends on the amount of the work.Anyway, punctuality and quality are the most important to me.

- i am an arabic translator of course negotiable.

- I have one year experience as a freelance translator and I usually work from home I like having a human relationship with my clients. I like to lead my business in a friendly way, which doesn’t prevent it from being professional.

- I CAN TRANSLATE ANY DOCUMENT OF ENGLISH-SPANISH LANGUAJE AND VICEVERSA. I`M BBA, WITH 22 YEARS OLD OF EXPERIENCIE AND I PRACTICE EVERY DAY MY LANGUAJES SO MY TRANSLATIONS ARE MORE ACURATE. I AGREE WITH YOUR RATE OFPayment - 0,033 EURO per target word

- I am a skilled translator and interpreter, working for the company manufacturing tubes. Thus, translation of technical texts is the thing I do every day.

- Italian mother speaking now linvin in Canada

- During the 2 firsts years of the carrear I studied Linguistics.

- Hy I`m a rumanian student .. I have 8 years of english.. I think I can translate your papper from english to rumanian in 2 days

- We have no way of knowing how much our price would be.

- Lacking details as to how big this project is, the above figures are figurative

I would be glad to be a part of the project. I charge $0,30 per word and respect the delays.

- Dear Sir/Madam, It is out of deep respect that we, translators of XXXX, come before your honour to solicit the translation of your documents:

Giovanni

[Edited at 2006-02-26 15:51]
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
What site is that? Feb 26, 2006

Guys,
I'm very curious. Can somebody tell me what site is that, privately or publicly?
Thanks,
J.

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Don't cry! Feb 26, 2006

Those are the kids undermining the market and forcing us to lower our bids. Which one of you would consider bidding less than 0.01 US$ per word in order to get a job? Yes, I've seen such bid on the web site in question.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Please do not discuss this publicly Feb 26, 2006

Javier Herrera wrote:

Guys,
I'm very curious. Can somebody tell me what site is that, privately or publicly?
Thanks,
J.

Please do not mention other sites in ProZ.com fora.

Thanks!

Nancy

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
A goldmine... Feb 26, 2006

... for a good laugh. However, I'm afraid that if we could see the bids posted via our site, the result sometimes would be equally amusing (or sad).

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 12:53
English to Russian
Can I ask for a link? Feb 26, 2006

NancyLynn wrote: Please do not mention other sites in ProZ.com fora.

I'd like to read the rules, especially THE rule.
Could you, please, provide a link?
TIA!
Aleksandr
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
just type... Feb 26, 2006

"Italian mother speaking now linvin in Canada"

in Google and you'll find the site.... have fun!

And you'll be laughing even more when you'll find the bid of $1 for a 44.000 word job...

Giovanni (Italian father speaking now livin in the UK)

[Edited at 2006-02-26 23:09]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
This is a profile? Feb 26, 2006

"I CAN TRANSLATE ANY DOCUMENT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AT SPANISH LANGUAGE, AND I CAN TRANSLATE ANY KIND OF CONVERATION IN ENGLISH VERSION AMERICAN OR BRITISH AT SPANISH. I HAVE 22 YEAR OLD OF EXPERIENCE HANDLE THIS LANGUAGES LIKE BUSINESSMAN IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET, SO, I CAN SO A TRANSLATION MORE ACURATE THAN OTHER. " (sic).

....pregúntome?

Andy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Aleksandr Feb 26, 2006

I don't have a link to offer you, but I do have a standard letter used to explain a post that has not been vetted because it contains a link to a competitor's website:

Dear ***,

I am writing to inform you that I did not vet your recent post,
which included a link to (or mention of) a competing site. I know
you had no ill intent, but due to past abuse the site has adopted a
policy of not allowing links to (or mention of) competitive sites
at all. I hope you understand.

If you prefer, I suggest you repost, leaving out the link or
reference to the competitive site.

Thanks for using ProZ.com.

Regards,
(ProZ.com moderator)

I hope this answers your question.

Best,
Nancy

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ciao padre Italiano! Feb 26, 2006

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

"Italian mother speaking now linvin in Canada"

in Google and you'll find the site.... have fun!

And you'll be luaghing even more when you'll find the bid of $1 for a 44.000 word job...

Giovanni (Italian father speaking now livin in the UK)

[Edited at 2006-02-26 21:20]

Hello Italian father!

Well I was actually referring to another website, but the website you were hinting at is not bad at all, very interesting I must say!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
source of endless humour.... Feb 26, 2006

Ziad Marzouka wrote:

Hello Italian father!

Well I was actually referring to another website, but the website you were hinting at is not bad at all, very interesting I must say!

Hi,

It's been one of my favourite for quite some time... a truly eye-opener...

Giovanni (who has 16 years of english)

[Edited at 2006-02-26 23:15]

Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez
Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, this is théâtre de l'absurde with a pinch of Mr. Bean Feb 27, 2006

Andy Watkinson wrote:

"I CAN TRANSLATE ANY DOCUMENT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AT SPANISH LANGUAGE, AND I CAN TRANSLATE ANY KIND OF CONVERATION IN ENGLISH VERSION AMERICAN OR BRITISH AT SPANISH. I HAVE 22 YEAR OLD OF EXPERIENCE HANDLE THIS LANGUAGES LIKE BUSINESSMAN IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET, SO, I CAN SO A TRANSLATION MORE ACURATE THAN OTHER. " (sic).

....pregúntome?

Andy

I just hope his previous international bussiness endeavours have been more "acurate". : )

Noelia Ruiz Pérez
Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
WOW Feb 27, 2006

Amazing! I can not believe this is real.

I did this search in Google, I"talian mother speaking now linvin in Canada", and I found this amazing sites.

Look at this!

I have a set of 3 people in India who are extreamly good in translating German and French to English. And we will work up to 15 to 18 hours every day 6 days a week. And will complete the project no matter how big it is.

As I said....amazing!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rule on not mentioning competing sites Feb 27, 2006

I can see the sense of this rule, and have nothing against it, but if it is important enough to cause someone to have his membership suspended - which has happened at least once - see http://www.proz.com/post/141245#141245
- don't you think it ought to be a formal rule, rather than something which no-one knows about unless they break it, or, as in this case, seem to be turning a forum thread
... See more
I can see the sense of this rule, and have nothing against it, but if it is important enough to cause someone to have his membership suspended - which has happened at least once - see http://www.proz.com/post/141245#141245
- don't you think it ought to be a formal rule, rather than something which no-one knows about unless they break it, or, as in this case, seem to be turning a forum thread in that direction?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Read and laugh

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »