Off topic: Essential vocabulary additions for the workplace (and elsewhere)
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver
Hope this makes you smile...
and forget the Monday blues for a while
Oh, and I apologize beforehand if it offends anyone
1. BLAMESTORMING : Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.
2. SEAGULL MANAGER: A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.
3. ASSMOSIS : The process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.
4. SALMON DAY: The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die in the end.
5. CUBE FARM: An office filled with cubicles
6. PRAIRIE DOGGING: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people's heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on.
7. MOUSE POTATO: The on-line, wired generation's answer to the couch potato.
8. SITCOMs : Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What Yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids.
9. STRESS PUPPY: A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.
10. SWIPEOUT: An ATM or credit card that has been rendered useless because the magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.
11. XEROX SUBSIDY: Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.
12. IRRITAINMENT : Entertainment and media spectacles that are Annoying but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The J-Lo and Ben wedding (or not) was a prime example - Michael Jackson, another.
13. PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
14. ADMINISPHERE : The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.
15. 404 : Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error Message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located.
16. GENERICA : Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast food joints, strip malls, and subdivisions.
17. OHNOSECOND : That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake. (Like after hitting send on an email by mistake)
18. WOOFS : Well-Off Older Folks.
19. CROP DUSTING: Surreptitiously passing gas while passing through a Cube Farm.
| || || |
I love this list, thanks for sharing!
It made me laugh!
Here's a smile for you!
thanks for sharing this with us - personally, I've a fine line in percussive maintenance!
| | Will Matter
Local time: 18:30
| Wow! Made my Tuesday better. || Mar 7, 2006 |
| You're all welcome!! || Mar 7, 2006 |
What I find amusing is that I keep coming back to the forums just to post/read jokes and light stuff
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Essential vocabulary additions for the workplace (and elsewhere)
|You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.|
How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!
More info »
|You've never met a CAT tool this clever!|
Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer.
Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools.
Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free
More info »