https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/50054-spanish_myths_a_translators_perspective.html

Spanish Myths, a translator's perspective
Thread poster: Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 04:37
English to Spanish
Jun 24, 2006

I would like to share with you a link that some colleagues might find interesting.

http://www.spanish-translation-help.com/spanish-myths.htmlhttp://www.spanish-translation-help.com/spanish-myths.html

John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
El enlace ... Jun 24, 2006

Angel Biojo wrote:

I would like to share with you a link that some colleagues might find interesting.

http://www.spanish-translation-help.com/spanish-myths.htmlhttp://www.spanish-translation-help.com/spanish-myths.html

... no abre amigo Ángel ...

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
El Enlace Jun 24, 2006

Aquí Está

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:37
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

you're absolutely right Jun 25, 2006

And I would add one more myth:

Machine translators can translate as well or even better than human translators.

M.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Most of it is true... Jun 25, 2006

...and maybe the fact that I can honestly say that number six (about dry spells) is not true for me is only because I am probably lucky. I mean, if somebody put it on this list, that means it is true for most of us.

I would also add many more items to the list, as people still seem to not know our work well (this even includes some clients, translators, agencies and outsourcers). But I can't gather my ideas right now (it's late at night)....
See more
...and maybe the fact that I can honestly say that number six (about dry spells) is not true for me is only because I am probably lucky. I mean, if somebody put it on this list, that means it is true for most of us.

I would also add many more items to the list, as people still seem to not know our work well (this even includes some clients, translators, agencies and outsourcers). But I can't gather my ideas right now (it's late at night).

Maybe another time!
Collapse

John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Do you think ... Jun 25, 2006

... that if you have been translating as a freelancer for more than 10 years you will have a dry spell?

Lo que veo es que un traductor que lleva mucho tiempo en esta profesión y goza de una certificación oficial siempre gozará de un empleo, sobre todo en los países europeos donde algunas traducciones han de ser legales. Ese traductor tendrá sus ingresos de las traducciones, de los exámenes de traductor jurado en cuya corrección participe y en talleres que imparta.
... See more
... that if you have been translating as a freelancer for more than 10 years you will have a dry spell?

Lo que veo es que un traductor que lleva mucho tiempo en esta profesión y goza de una certificación oficial siempre gozará de un empleo, sobre todo en los países europeos donde algunas traducciones han de ser legales. Ese traductor tendrá sus ingresos de las traducciones, de los exámenes de traductor jurado en cuya corrección participe y en talleres que imparta.

Hombre, si eres de esos traductores bohemios que tiene la suerte de vivir en el Albaycín de Granada y que no le falta trabajo pues me alegro por ti ... hasta te diré que te envidio pero es muy raro ¿ No lo creís?
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:37
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic Jun 25, 2006

Hi folks,

I've moved the topic from the forum "Forums" to the "Lighter Side of Trans/Interp" (After all, it's not a discussion about Proz.com "Forums".)

Also, I'd like to remind you to please post in English -except for in non-English forums- so that everybody -including me- can understand.
... See more
Hi folks,

I've moved the topic from the forum "Forums" to the "Lighter Side of Trans/Interp" (After all, it's not a discussion about Proz.com "Forums".)

Also, I'd like to remind you to please post in English -except for in non-English forums- so that everybody -including me- can understand.

Thanks and regards,
Özden
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish Myths, a translator's perspective

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »