Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:42
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 4, 2006

I wouldn't be too worried about this "translator".

Sharp and IBM Developed Small Voice-To-Voice Translator

Sharp will introduce a small handheld device that can translate spoken japanese into English and vice-versa.

This is similar to the Sony PSP Talkman. I assume the new Sharp translator is more sophisticated. It runs IBM speech recognition software that is normally run on PCs.

The US military has been using a PDA-sized device called Pharselator since 2003.

Sharp plans to introduce the device by the end of the year at a price of around 60,000 yen (~$508).
More details on Nikkei.Net (Subscription). More Translators.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:42
Italian to English
In memoriam
You never know with soldiers Oct 4, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

The US military has been using a PDA-sized device called Pharselator since 2003.

Is "Pharselator" a Freudian performance error on your part or a genuine metathesis (of "Phraselator", which has its own domain: www.phraselator.com), the reasons for which we can only conjecture?

Yours, farcically elated

Giles

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Spanish to English
Brave New World Oct 4, 2006

Remember 15 years ago when translation software was going to revolutionize everything?

It's because the software was so bad that I was able to work my way through medical school!

-Saludos al Mundo!

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IBM's Electronic real-time translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »