Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:19
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 30, 2006

Blue Board este cea mai cuprinzătoare bază de date conţinând firme care externalizează lucrări lingvistice către liber-profesionişti. Liber-profesioniştii pot indica probabilitatea unei noi colaborări (PNC) cu un anumit contracto

Huh?!

That's how my site greeted me on my current call - I clicked on a URL in a mail, so I did not land on the home page.

Well, the following will show my meager experience with languages, but ...

o it's a romanic language
o sounds quaintly like Portuguese (but isn't)
o Diacritics !? Uh-oh ...hm....

I decided for Rumanian as my first approximation and tgought of going and finding out for sure, but then got to my home page, and "hark, what light ..." - the top left dropdown box for site language said romana.

Now ... would that not be a nice game - for consenting adults of course - to randomly select the site language and let the public guess at the langauge and collect points (SitoZ) . No more than 60 logins in the last 30 minutes etc, native speakers and KudoZ staff excluded.

Imagine your home page in Tamil or Tai - ugly latin characters stand no chance...

Regards

smo - in the Far Side Mode

PS: I do hope that Romana really stands for Rumanian - and not for the language of Romas ...

[Edited at 2006-10-30 19:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Joost Elshoff  Identity Verified
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
That's Romanian Oct 30, 2006

Plenty of Romance markers in that text. Not Italian, French, Spanish, Catalan or Portuguese, so it must be Romanian.

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 22:19
SITE STAFF
Already in our to-dos list Oct 30, 2006

Dear Vito,

Thanks for bringing this issue forward. We have opened a support ticket on this problem and it is already in the to-dos list of our developers, to be done as soon as some higher priority issues are sorted out (but it should be solved soon anyway).

Regards,
Enrique

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear, dear Enrique Oct 30, 2006

Thanks for bringing this issue forward.

It's 8PM here in Munich and my daily ration of sarcasm is long gone by now(g).

It was NOT meant as a barb for you guys on the rowing floor of this ship. It's just simple fun, no smirking intended. Just have a laugh like I did...

smo

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 20:19
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SitoZ Oct 30, 2006

I love it!

Nancy

Lucica Abil  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:19
Member (2005)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...

Romanian Oct 30, 2006

You are right, Vito, that's Romanian

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:19
English to French
+ ...
Mine was in Spanish a few days ago Oct 30, 2006

By the way, I don't mean to be mean, but the matter being

"already in the to-dos list of our developers, to be done as soon as some higher priority issues are sorted out"

is just not good enough an excuse. I translate between English and French and none of my clients is focused on Spanish. When they see my profile in Spanish, they will skip it...

Might I ask what can be of higher priority than my profile being understandable to my potential clients? How is business going to take place through this site if the communication between service providers and clients can't be established? I mean, if my profile is not legible to my potential clients, what's the point of me being a member here?

[Edited at 2006-10-30 21:06]

Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:19
English to Romanian
Romanian :) Oct 30, 2006

... could be my own translation, if I can remember it right...

Funnily enough, this never happened to me, to open the site in an unknown language - I have selected Romanian since it became available and it has never changed by itself. This is really strange, as a lot of people complain about languages changing without notice, and it can cause disconfort, of course.
I hope you appreciate our teamwork, though
Best wishes to you all

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
yes! Oct 30, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

smo - in the Far Side Mode

[Edited at 2006-10-30 19:01]

I second Vito's suggestion!! (after the bug is fixed, of course...)

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 22:19
SITE STAFF
Of course! Oct 30, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

Thanks for bringing this issue forward.

It's 8PM here in Munich and my daily ration of sarcasm is long gone by now(g).

It was NOT meant as a barb for you guys on the rowing floor of this ship. It's just simple fun, no smirking intended. Just have a laugh like I did...

smo

Hi Vito, I didn't see any sarcasm in your posting, and the game would be fun indeed, but it is my responsibility to apologize for the problem that would make the game possible and to let you all know that we plan to solve it asap.

So, in the same light mood, play now before it is over!

Kind regards,
Enrique

Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
SitoZ Oct 31, 2006

I'm game! Nice&neat reasoning on your part, Vito

Btw, linguists use the term "Romany" / "Romani" to refer to the language spoken by the Roma.

[Edited at 2006-10-31 01:53]

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
This could be the start of something. . . . Nov 7, 2006

Доска отзывов Blue Board устроена так: пользователь ProZ.com («поставщик услуг») может оценить по шкале от 1 до 5 свою «готовность продолжать сотрудничество» (для краткости - ГПС) с тем или иным работодателем. В качестве пояснения вместе с оценкой может быть введен небольшой текст («комментарий»). В свою очередь, работодатель может опубликовать ответный комментарий («ответ»).

I HAVE to be able to read that before I die! This game may be what we all need. We can form teams and everyweek we eliminate one person, either by translation or, in the event of a tie, medieval jousting.

The winners advance on to simultaneous interpreting of a Maori Gangster Rap press conference, with the championship round consisting of subtitling Bollywood films, music and all! I'm not sure how I would do on that one, but I'm sure my toes would be tapping to the beat while I throw down another mango lassi (supplied by the event sponsor, Trados!).

The championship will be held Nov 10-11 in Edinburgh and you must have completed your profile to be eligible.

SaludoZ!

[Edited at 2006-11-07 08:33]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll be forced to localize ProZ to Slovenian language Nov 7, 2006

for fear of being left behind.

We are in UN, NATO, EU, so we should darn well be in PROZ the one and only proper way as well - let the music play, let the games begin (har har...)

smo

[Edited at 2006-11-07 22:01]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I've always felt guilty about only being able to read Latin characters... Nov 21, 2006

I'll have to join in!

It's sheer laziness - I grew up surrounded by Marathi and Hindi, with good dashes of Gujerati and Tamil now and then.

My father taught Greek and still belly-aches now and then that his computer can't cope with Marathi - he's found the Greek and installed it. Now he is wondering whether to start work on Hebrew from scratch. (Well, he's only going to be 86 next birthday, so why not?)

My son and a nephew are battling with Japanese - mainly with the lack of teachers and time. They can write quite a lot of characters.

I never got beyond Mah Jong

I play with Scandinavian languages, but am not really sure about the extra characters in Icelandic and Faroese, though I do cope with the three extra vowels in Danish. The Swedish diacritics, look comfortingly like German and French at first glance.

And I'm the one that calls myself a translator - I'll have to do something about it and earn some SitoZ before everything gets rational again.

Thanks, Enrique, I hate the site looking like an uncleaned Trados file...

But thanks for the laugh, Vito! It's healthy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggest an on-line game on ProZ

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search