Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Most macabre translation you did
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 14:29
Italian to English
Apr 21, 2007

Once I was pleaded to translate a text from Italian to English about parking lot serial killers in the USA for a uni paper! To make it short, I'll just quote Vincnt Price as my conclusion:
"Reality is WORSE than horror"

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Weapons industry Apr 22, 2007

Just last week, I was asked to translate a marketing brochure for some navy ship coating, raving about how wonderfully strong this new material was, and how ballistic-resistant. And this from not the most democratic country in the world.
I kindly declined the job.

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 21:29
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Military articles Apr 22, 2007

They were not gory at all... But their sense of reality really frightened me. I know a former military man who is only "allowed to" read this kind of material and he believes that the dictatorship in Latin America was the best thing that ever happened! I still worked on those files, but the twisted truth really made me sick to my stomach.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:29
Spanish
+ ...
Religious texts Apr 22, 2007

Being a militant agnostic it's very hard for me to accept or agree with many religious texts I have to translate.

Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
A former colleague's death report Apr 22, 2007

In my school they had talked about a colleague who was murdered in her home. This happened a few years before I started teaching there. One day I got a CSI report and the coroner's statement of this whole incident to translate (form an outsourcer outside of the school). I had never met the woman, but I felt for her and her family!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:29
English to German
+ ...
Autopsy tables and the works Apr 22, 2007

All kinds of forensic equipment for the military.

I learned more than I ever wanted to know.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Murder Apr 22, 2007

A statement by a man who described how the victim was deliberately killed by being run over twice by a car in a cemetery.

The cemetery is three blocks from my house.

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:29
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Car crashes Apr 22, 2007

When I worked for an insurance company. I had to translate the description of the police reports and sometimes the doctors reports as well.

There was never a death, but there were too many broken and exposed bones.

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Male hate speech Apr 23, 2007

I started, but I couldn't do it. I returned the text to the NGO, with a note saying that, as a man, I couldn't perform the work in good conscience.

I lost money there, but it felt good.

[Editado a las 2007-04-23 05:30]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:29
Flemish to English
+ ...
Coroner's inquest. Apr 23, 2007

I had to luck to fulfill military obligations as a translator at the Belgian equivalent of JAG. The translation of a murder-case file from German into Dutch was a valuable experience, especially the coroner's inquest.

[Edited at 2007-04-23 13:11]

lingomania
Local time: 14:29
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 23, 2007

Interesting experiences posted here. I noticed that some colleagues here actually declined translations they felt were against their beliefs or moral factors and by doing so, lost some $$$ out of it. I feel that's good....sometimes you just CANNOT translate something in a perfectly 'impartial' way.

Rob

[Edited at 2007-04-23 08:48]

Maurizio Spagnuolo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Fatalities in industrial plants Apr 23, 2007

Docs and .ppt detailing worldwide fatalities in a multinational company (cranes, pallets, trucklifts, etc. involved).

There was also a fatality prevention section, though.

Maurizio

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Macabre no, but conscience-wrenching definitely Apr 23, 2007

One of my very first jobs was a pile (literally) of job descriptions written out by employees of a newspaper about to be taken over by a foreign publisher.
The Polish manager in the paper giving me the job told me to "abridge that stuff as I see fit because most of it is pointless crap."

I mumbled something and on the way home I realized that those scraps of paper are filled with things written by people fighting for their lives to keep their jobs.

I translated every word, editing only slightly if something was unclear in the source text.

The newspaper only lasted a few years after that anyway...
but the job wasn't a very pleasant experience.

Pawel Skalinski

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
A Machine for Splitting Human Skin Apr 23, 2007

When we first opened the document, we were quite taken aback - a tool for cannibals? What was our client up to?

Turned out it was a machine to be used in preparation for skin transplantations, i.e. a medical thing.

B

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
On prostitution and its legalization Apr 23, 2007

I am translating as a volunteer texts dealing with women and gender issues. The first one I translated was a testimony of a former prostitute, the next one will be on the reason why prostitution should not be legalized. I admit something inside me dies when I read and translate these texts.

[Edited at 2007-04-23 23:12]

[Edited at 2007-04-23 23:13]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most macabre translation you did

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search