Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2007

“And, er, which languages do you translate, Sir?” asked the Little Translator politely.

“Oh no, I’m the enterpreneur”, the man smiled. “Yes, the enterpreneur. I handle the enterprenorial side of things. I organise the Project Managers, that sort of thing – directing and coordinating, you might say.”

Just at that moment the phone rang, and the man walked over to the desk and picked it up. “Yes”, he said, “oh yes, tell me about it �
... See more

“And, er, which languages do you translate, Sir?” asked the Little Translator politely.

“Oh no, I’m the enterpreneur”, the man smiled. “Yes, the enterpreneur. I handle the enterprenorial side of things. I organise the Project Managers, that sort of thing – directing and coordinating, you might say.”

Just at that moment the phone rang, and the man walked over to the desk and picked it up. “Yes”, he said, “oh yes, tell me about it …. I see …. mm, yes …”

Meanwhile the Little Translator looked eagerly around the room at all the dictionaries and the fax and the computer. “O, here I am at a real translation agency”, he thought to himself. “I can just see myself sitting here using all my knowledge to send out perfect translations and help all our customers. Applying the unbreakable golden rule of first reading the text right through from beginning to end to get the feel of it, like Professor Brookesduddy taught us at University.”

Meanwhile, the man continued his conversation: “Yes … oh, yes, no problem … very, VERY technical, eh? ….no, no, no problem at all, we do any subject here – it comes a little more expensive, of course …. a dozen or so, mmm …” He looked over thoughtfully at the Little Translator, who was gazing in a dreamy trance at a big French-English dictionary on a bookcase near the door, and lowered his voice a little: “…. oh I see … I understand … ah, for the project progress meeting tomorrow afternoon, yes … there’d be a 50% mark-up for urgency, you understand, since we’d be using our most tried and trusted people, naturally, yes, mm, yes, OK, fine, leave it with me”.

He came off the phone and looked over at the Little Translator. “Sorry about that – just doing a bit more organising. It never ends, you know.” He laughed. “Now … where were we? Oh yes, well now, you must understand that degree certificates are all very well, but our quality policy here at Translations Anytime involves a test. Quite a hard test, usually, too. We want quality work, and we don’t want just anybody in-housing here, no sir. Quality is paramount. You might be just the person we’re looking for …” - the Little Translator’s eyes lit up - “ … yes, yes, it could be you, but as I say there are many, many other interviewees, and meanwhile you won’t mind doing this standard test, will you? Only a few pages, five or six perhaps, although it’s quite spread out … maybe ten or so, perhaps a little more, just to get an overall comprehensive global impression of your work, you see.”

“Oh yes, yes, Sir”, said the Little Translator, “of course, of course, I quite understand. I’ll do my very best, you’ll see”.

“But, er, I should add that this first test here is actually a SPEED test too”, said the man. “Let’s see, it’s five o’clock now, so to actually have a chance of even passing our test you must get it back to me by three sharp tomorrow afternoon, not a minute more. If you wait a second I’ll print it out for you and send it to you by email as well.”

The Little Translator trotted gleefully down the gloomy staircase, clutching the envelope the man had put the sheets into. “O my, I’ve got to do this really well so he takes me on”, he thought. “I’ll go and have a cup of coffee first and study it, like real translators do”.

……
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nice story, Mervyn Jul 24, 2007

Very enjoyable reading, let's have more about the Little Translator.
Is it just my impression, or are you a Tolkien fan? I seem to hear echoes from The Hobbit....

Best,
Margreet

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A 10-page test and on top of that with a tight deadline? Jul 24, 2007

Poor Little Translator!!!.... He sounds like Little Red Riding Hood falling into the hands of the bad bad Wolf...

Looking forward to the next episode...

P.S.: had to edit just now due to a typo...

[Edited at 2007-07-24 12:25]

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice indeed Jul 24, 2007

A very catchy story. Looking forward to know what happens to the Little Translator.

Pamela

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
Love it Jul 24, 2007

Just great When does the book come out?

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Very nice! Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for sharing.

Stefanie

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:20
Member (2002)
English to German
Rest of the story... Jul 24, 2007

How could you keep the rest of the story to yourself Mervyn?

Here it is folks:

On his way back home Little Translator met a nice girl. Suddenly he didn't feel like translating anymore. They married and lived happily ever after.

The Entrepreneur on the other hand was a wicked guy. When he found out that Little Translator wouldn't deliver he got very angry. Actually he got so angry that he stomped around the office, accidentally tripped on top of the stairs a
... See more

Here it is folks:

On his way back home Little Translator met a nice girl. Suddenly he didn't feel like translating anymore. They married and lived happily ever after.

The Entrepreneur on the other hand was a wicked guy. When he found out that Little Translator wouldn't deliver he got very angry. Actually he got so angry that he stomped around the office, accidentally tripped on top of the stairs and fell all the way down from the 52nd to the 1st floor. Afterwards he wasn't angry anymore. Nor wicked.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
No spoilers please Jul 24, 2007

Andy Lemminger wrote:

Here it is folks:

The Entrepreneur on the other hand was a wicked guy. When he found out that Little Translator wouldn't deliver he got very angry. Actually he got so angry that he stomped around the office, accidentally tripped on top of the stairs and fell all the way down from the 52nd to the 1st floor. Afterwards he wasn't angry anymore. Nor wicked.

Anyhow you should know by now that the Little Translator would never - as in NEVER - miss a deadline and doesn't have the time (or inclination) to meet girls

Happy writing Mervyn - the world needs something to fill the massive void left by the end of Harry Potter !

[Edited at 2007-07-24 15:25]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Looking forward to episode 3 of 1st season ! Jul 24, 2007

It feels like waiting for the next season of Desperate Housewives...
Thanks Mervyn,
Philippe

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
STOOOPP!!! Jul 24, 2007

No more mentioning Harry Potter, please!!!!

I have not yet started the 7th book! Waiting for my holidays next week... (it's hard...I know, but I would rather not spoil this..)

So please no hints!!!

Thanks a million!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wasn't a hint Jul 24, 2007

Leena vom Hofe wrote:

No more mentioning Harry Potter, please!!!!

I have not yet started the 7th book! Waiting for my holidays next week... (it's hard...I know, but I would rather not spoil this..)

So please no hints!!!

Thanks a million!

I don't read the stuff - I meant the void formed by it being the last book in the series. No chance of spoilers from me.

Happy reading

[Edited at 2007-07-24 17:10]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't wait ... Jul 24, 2007

...for next instalment!

Suggestion, include link to previous post in each new instalment ...for those who missed earlier instalments:-)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Little Translators Jul 24, 2007

Good thinking, Lia.

http://www.proz.com/topic/79252

... is the link for Little Translator 1, in case anyone's wondering what the Sa-a-a-aaam Hill's going on here. Little Translator 3 will limp on stage whenever, between translations and a life outside the office.

Mervyn

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:20
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I'm hooked... Jul 24, 2007

Waiting breathlessly for the next episode...this is too good!

Amy

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love Little Tranlator's story Jul 24, 2007

Lia's suggestion is fantastic. That way I wouldn't miss any Little translator's episode!

Regards to everyone

Letty

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Little Translator gets a test

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »