Off topic: Funny Language Barrier: Why English Is So Hard To Learn?
Thread poster: M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:08
English to Polish
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not sure if it wasn't posted here before, but for a good start of a weekend - smile

http://www.asianoffbeat.com/default.asp?Display=961

Anni

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Loved the subtitles Oct 12, 2007

Especially this one:

"Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some @$$ of the giant lizard person."

Thanks, Anni!

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 00:08
Italian to English
Cool Oct 12, 2007

Very cool and funny site...thenk you. }SDMILE}

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 16:08
Dutch to English
Funny Oct 13, 2007

It reminds me of one I read years ago. A Dutch businessman had just received an award, and concluded his acceptance speech with: I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart, and my wife's bottom.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:08
Catalan to English
+ ...
A few more.... Oct 13, 2007

You might find some of these amusing too....

"A new book by Richard Woolcott, who ran Australia's foreign service for four years, points to the pitfalls of translating thoughts into different languages.

Take the Australian diplomat in France who tried to tell his French audience that as he looked back on his career, it was divided in two parts, with dull postings before life in Paris.
"When I look at my backside, I find it is divided into two parts," Woolcott quot
... See more

"A new book by Richard Woolcott, who ran Australia's foreign service for four years, points to the pitfalls of translating thoughts into different languages.

Take the Australian diplomat in France who tried to tell his French audience that as he looked back on his career, it was divided in two parts, with dull postings before life in Paris.
"When I look at my backside, I find it is divided into two parts," Woolcott quotes the diplomat as telling his highly amused audience.

Woolcott recalled a speech he gave on a visit to Palembang shortly after he had arrived on a posting in Indonesia.

"Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of my wife and myself, I want to say how delighted we are to be in Palembang," he said in English. The interpreter said something entirely different.
"Ladies and gentlemen, on top of my wife, I am delighted to be in Palembang."

Woolcott said former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke left his Japanese audience bewildered when he used the Australian colloquial phrase "I am not here to play funny buggers" to dismiss a trivial and pesky question from Japanese lawmakers.

"For Japanese interpreters, however, this was a real problem. They went into a huddle to consult on the best way to render 'funny buggers' into Japanese," Woolcott wrote.

The interpreters told him they had then told the audience: "I am not here to play laughing homosexuals with you".

Australia's Labor Party leader Kevin Rudd is regarded as a master of Mandarin. But his language skills were far from perfect as a young diplomat in 1984, when he interpreted his ambassador's speech on the close relationship enjoyed by Australia and China.

"Australia and China are enjoying simultaneous orgasms in their relationship," Woolcott quoted Rudd as telling the audience in Mandarin."

I'd give you the URL but can't seem to find it.

Andy
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 00:08
Italian to English
Love them! Oct 15, 2007

Andy Watkinson wrote:

"When I look at my backside, I find it is divided into two parts," Woolcott quotes the diplomat as telling his highly amused audience.

Woolcott recalled a speech he gave on a visit to Palembang shortly after he had arrived on a posting in Indonesia.

"Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of my wife and myself, I want to say how delighted we are to be in Palembang," he said in English. The interpreter said something entirely different.
"Ladies and gentlemen, on top of my wife, I am delighted to be in Palembang."

Woolcott said former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke left his Japanese audience bewildered when he used the Australian colloquial phrase "I am not here to play funny buggers" to dismiss a trivial and pesky question from Japanese lawmakers.

"For Japanese interpreters, however, this was a real problem. They went into a huddle to consult on the best way to render 'funny buggers' into Japanese," Woolcott wrote.

The interpreters told him they had then told the audience: "I am not here to play laughing homosexuals with you".

Australia's Labor Party leader Kevin Rudd is regarded as a master of Mandarin. But his language skills were far from perfect as a young diplomat in 1984, when he interpreted his ambassador's speech on the close relationship enjoyed by Australia and China.

"Australia and China are enjoying simultaneous orgasms in their relationship," Woolcott quoted Rudd as telling the audience in Mandarin."

I'd give you the URL but can't seem to find it.

Andy

Love them all......bring on more please!

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Funny Language Barrier: Why English Is So Hard To Learn?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »