https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/93907-translation_mistakes_on_prozs_advertisement.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
translation mistakes on ProZ's advertisement...
Thread poster: irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 20:35
French to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2008

I find this really ironic!
Today I just noticed the small advertisement on the ProZ's site. If you go to a page such as the Proz.com term search, and possibly refresh the page a few times you'll see an ad for Babylon 7 dictionaries. Their selling title is "Your favorites dictionaries at a click". I find it hilarious that the world's biggest translation site has something encouraging us to buy dictionaries... and it's got one of the most basic translation mistakes possible in it!!...
See more
I find this really ironic!
Today I just noticed the small advertisement on the ProZ's site. If you go to a page such as the Proz.com term search, and possibly refresh the page a few times you'll see an ad for Babylon 7 dictionaries. Their selling title is "Your favorites dictionaries at a click". I find it hilarious that the world's biggest translation site has something encouraging us to buy dictionaries... and it's got one of the most basic translation mistakes possible in it!! (The 's' in "favorites"). The irony...

[Edited at 2008-01-11 11:25]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:35
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ouch. Jan 11, 2008

Here is another goody:

Pl.
Send me where i can find job of proffreading
Thank u

http://in.groups.yahoo.com/group/proofreading/message/5

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:35
French to English
I noticed that too Jan 11, 2008

And my first thought was that I definitely wouldn't be purchasing any dictionaries from them

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
and ... Jan 11, 2008

the ad also claims that it includes the "Oxford Merian Wester" dictionary!!!

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
German to English
I saw that too.... Jan 11, 2008

....ages ago, but I'm usually too busy thinking about other things...

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AND Jan 11, 2008

I don't like "at a click" either. I'd prefer "just a click away" or something along those lines. I'm definitely not buying those dictionaries!!!! Good link there! If I ever need proffreading I know who to call

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 16:35
SITE STAFF
Good call! Jan 11, 2008

Hi all,

Thank you all for spotting this spelling mistake.

I am sure I have also seen it before, it was fixed and now it has appeared again.

It might be the database that it is not updating properly.

We will fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Roberto Rey
Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:35
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't judge a book by the cover Jan 11, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

the ad also claims that it includes the "Oxford Merian Wester" dictionary!!!

You are too quick to judge, Babylon is a great tool! Just because someone did a silly mistake, you can't just disapprove the whole product...
The people of Babylon can be judged as not having the correct advertising people, but don't be so quick to disqualify a good translation tool.

We can then disqualify Ford, Coca Cola, GM, governments etc, etc..

Be careful!

[Edited at 2008-01-11 13:32]

[Edited at 2008-01-11 13:33]

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 15:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Satto's comparisons only prove the original point Jan 11, 2008

[quote]Satto (Roberto) wrote:

Lori Cirefice wrote:

We can then disqualify Ford, Coca Cola, GM, governments etc, etc..

13:32]

[Edited at 2008-01-11 13:33]

Most Ford vehicles are junk (I should know, I had two), Coca Cola is about as bad for you as drugs, GM is bland and uninspiring, and governments ... well, has anything good ever come out of those?
Any more proof needed?

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Babylon et al. Jan 11, 2008

Actually, I do use Babylon, but only with very specific dictionaries, and I think it can be helpful as a tool.
Now, mark those two things: it CAN be helpful, and if, then only as a TOOL.
What I really hate is that fact that those those tools are advertised as translator, pocket translator or pocket-size interpreter.
In my point of view a translator and interpreter is always a HUMAN, not some little machine, macro, program or gadget.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-11 17:34]

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
bad image for translators ... Jan 12, 2008

Florencia Vita wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you all for spotting this spelling mistake.

I am sure I have also seen it before, it was fixed and now it has appeared again.

It might be the database that it is not updating properly.

We will fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Florencia

Florencia,

From what others say, it appears that there are multiple mistakes. This advertisement misrepresents us, as "language professionals," since we are required to be accurate and to follow the rules of basic grammar (and I would hope, advanced grammar and style).

This is like walking into the doctor's office and finding his staff, well, if not shooting up the pharmaceuticals from the storeroom, at least, smoking, chomping on candy, and downing Coca colas.

Best,
Patricia

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The effect of advertising Jan 12, 2008

Satto (Roberto) wrote:

You are too quick to judge, Babylon is a great tool! Just because someone did a silly mistake, you can't just disapprove the whole product...
The people of Babylon can be judged as not having the correct advertising people, but don't be so quick to disqualify a good translation tool.

But that's exactly the point. If a company is too cheap / too lazy to double-check a tiny ad (takes what, 60 seconds?) before it is visible to literally the rest of the world, what's next?

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still there! Jan 21, 2008

the mistake is still there... I thought me bringing attention to it would encourage it to be removed or updated within minutes

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Babylon Ads Jan 22, 2008

I have asked for new ad copy from the client and have contacted them again this morning to see if we can get new copy. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Drew

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
3 months later and it's still there... Apr 14, 2008

3 months later and it still hasn't been corrected? At first I found it quite amusing, but now it's just annoying... there are two versions of the ad, one is new and correct and the old one is still there!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation mistakes on ProZ's advertisement...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »