Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2008

I don't know yet if there was any reply to my improper outburst yesterday, but I'll find out right after this.

In any case, I wish to apologise to Victor Dewsbery here, this being the most public and comprehensive way I can think of.

My comments were inappropriate and over the top, and Victor did not deserve them.

All I can say in my defence is that I read his piece near the end of an electric day in an electric week, and stress got the better of me.
... See more
I don't know yet if there was any reply to my improper outburst yesterday, but I'll find out right after this.

In any case, I wish to apologise to Victor Dewsbery here, this being the most public and comprehensive way I can think of.

My comments were inappropriate and over the top, and Victor did not deserve them.

All I can say in my defence is that I read his piece near the end of an electric day in an electric week, and stress got the better of me.

Mervyn
Collapse

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Electrified then? Feb 9, 2008

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hi Little Translator Feb 9, 2008

Luckily you can still edit yesterday's entry... I'm afraid right now you're inadvertently drawing attention to it.
Cheer up!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Nesrin Feb 9, 2008

Too true. The same thing was just occurring to me. You're right, thanks.

Mervyn

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jacking it in Feb 9, 2008

I reckon I'm going to jack LT in. I could never finish the thing, and it was bringing out the worst in me.

Mervyn

Alexandra Scott
Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:07
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
No, don't abandon LT! Feb 9, 2008

Dozens of fans would be devastated at the prospect of the end of LT!

Just send him on an extended mission somewhere until the time is right until the next episode!

Come on, guys, show your appreciation for LT and tell Mervyn that he is the brightest spark on Proz!

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wish LT the best! Feb 9, 2008

Hi Mervin,

I think you should do what makes you feel more comfortable, but let me tell you in my not so elegant English, that I´ll really miss LT and YOUR writing style.
Kindest regards,
Marina

PD: Maybe we`ll read you on paper in a few years, I hope so.

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
agree with Marina Feb 10, 2008

I agree that you should do what makes you feel best, but if you do decide to pack in the little guy for a while, you can add me to the long list of those who will miss him

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
We all enjoy LT Feb 10, 2008

And Mervyn, if you prefer, I can hide that post you referred to altogether.

Nancy

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't jack him in Feb 10, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I reckon I'm going to jack LT in. I could never finish the thing, and it was bringing out the worst in me.

Mervyn

Oh, Mervyn, please don't jack LT in. If you do, there's always the fearful risk that someone else will take him over (me, for instance) and write him their way - which would annoy you greatly, no doubt.
Courage, mon brave.
Jenny
P.S. Have you copyrighted him? I ask merely for information ...

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Don't jack LT Feb 10, 2008

I really love this busy little man, his nice stories and his style of writing. Don't let him go!!!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
That's what's so great about LT... Feb 10, 2008

He plumps in, makes all the mistakes, and still comes out smiling - or at least we readers do.

Please Mervyn, please carry on!
I can't wait to read what happens next. It's simply such a relief after a long, crazy week to find a new episode of LT in the forum...

Give him a break if you need to, and we'll understand, but don't jack it in.

As for bringing out the worst in you - I'm sure it's healthy to do it that way. It's the hypocrites (none named, no
... See more
He plumps in, makes all the mistakes, and still comes out smiling - or at least we readers do.

Please Mervyn, please carry on!
I can't wait to read what happens next. It's simply such a relief after a long, crazy week to find a new episode of LT in the forum...

Give him a break if you need to, and we'll understand, but don't jack it in.

As for bringing out the worst in you - I'm sure it's healthy to do it that way. It's the hypocrites (none named, none forgotten) who pretend to be so nice until they believe it themselves, and then the surface cracks and all is revealed.

It brings out the worst in me too - so I can face up to it and try to cut it down to size!
Another who will miss LT until he turns up again.

I'm going to print out all the episodes so far, for posterity
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
LT rules! Feb 10, 2008

Please don't give up on him - he really cheers me up and makes me laugh - even on the most awful days (like yesterday), when everything else is going wrong. Maybe he needs a holiday?!

Keep up the good work! (How do you find the time anyway????!)

Claire

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time for a break Feb 11, 2008

Thanks a lot.

I think the problem is that it's all getting out of hand and maybe I just have to forget about it for a while. I used to bring LT out every 8 or 10 days or so, as far as I remember, but now it's developed quite a bit and it's all so ad hoc, so sometimes after a posting I sit back, bite my nails and think: What the hell will I write next time?

The strain of totally inventing all the characters, names, plots, imaginary situations leading to other imaginary
... See more
Thanks a lot.

I think the problem is that it's all getting out of hand and maybe I just have to forget about it for a while. I used to bring LT out every 8 or 10 days or so, as far as I remember, but now it's developed quite a bit and it's all so ad hoc, so sometimes after a posting I sit back, bite my nails and think: What the hell will I write next time?

The strain of totally inventing all the characters, names, plots, imaginary situations leading to other imaginary situations (although the translation profession anecdotes, as you well know, are based on reality), is beginning to tell, and I probably need a little space and time.

Also, I'm a busy full-time translator. It does get in the way sometimes.

Mervyn
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
LT goes on vacation Feb 11, 2008

In light of what you just explained, I think LT deserves a holiday. Don't forget why you "gave birth" to him in the first place - I don't think you were looking to create yet another obligation for yourself. Most music groups lose their inspiration exactly at points like where you are now - when it starts to feel like an obligation and when you have a hard time creating instead of just letting it flow.

You can probably guess that even though we are only a few dozen to comment on you
... See more
In light of what you just explained, I think LT deserves a holiday. Don't forget why you "gave birth" to him in the first place - I don't think you were looking to create yet another obligation for yourself. Most music groups lose their inspiration exactly at points like where you are now - when it starts to feel like an obligation and when you have a hard time creating instead of just letting it flow.

You can probably guess that even though we are only a few dozen to comment on your short stories, there are actually hundreds of us reading them with great interest. Knowing this can be overwhelming for you - it probably feels a bit like being pressured to churn them out faster, bigger and maybe even better. Most celebrities have trouble with this - you need to just remember that it was mainly out of pleasure you started doing this. If you don't get the same satisfaction you used to, then you should give LT a break. Otherwise, you will just stress the poor fella out.

And who knows - maybe in a few weeks or months, we will find an episode called "The Little Translator Goes on Vacation", as I suggested a loooong time ago. And maybe that time, writing the story will really feel like you both went on a holiday.

Whatever you do, please don't take a final, irreversible decision. Just let go of him for a while, see if you miss him. Time will tell.

All the best!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Little Translator makes an apology

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »