Thread poster: Subhan Fakhrizada

Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:37
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Feb 8, 2009

Hello,

i found this map of Europe, shows the different language spoken.

For me, it was very interesting.

http://bookofjoe.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5dea53ef010536cb5041970b-pi

regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Politically incorrect Feb 8, 2009

This map would probably raise a lot of complaints among some people. The surface along the Mediterranean coast of Spain where Catalan is spoken according to the map does not match the area Catalan nationalists claim to be Catalan-speaking. You better keep the map hidden from them.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More politically incorrectness Feb 8, 2009

Basque classified as a Semitic language. Oh my! How they dare? The makers of the map will probably be sued by the Basque government. Basque language in the same group as Hebrew? No way! That will make them jump off their comfortable chairs!

(BTW: The idea that Basque is a semitic language was popular a century ago, but not today. The origin of the language is very uncertain indeed.)

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:07
German to English
+ ...
Great map Feb 8, 2009

Great map, Subhan!

I agree with Tomás, though, about its political incorrectness. The source of the map should probably be mentioned, since the URL doesn't indicate its authorship at all.

Luckily, it's politically incorrect in only minor ways, in all probability. And we translators/interpreters, being a global community with such extensive one-on-one interaction, can take such incorrectness with a pinch of salt

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:37
English to Greek
+ ...
Substantially incorrect Feb 8, 2009

Since when is Greek a non-Indo-European language?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confusing indeed Feb 8, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
Since when is Greek a non-Indo-European language?

Yes, it puzzled me too, but I think they created confusion by including Greek separately under "Other Indo-European". I don't see why they are "other".

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Politically incorrectness is OK by me! Feb 8, 2009

Anil Gidwani wrote:
Luckily, it's politically incorrect in only minor ways, in all probability. And we translators/interpreters, being a global community with such extensive one-on-one interaction, can take such incorrectness with a pinch of salt

Yes, indeed. I don't really care whether Basque, German or Hindi is more or less spoken in the next town or 10, 20 or 100 km away from my home. But many politicians in Spain today really keep an eye on these things and are very picky about them. After all, language policies and language-related sentiments is a big part of what keeps them in power.

The question here is whether linguistic knowledge and statistics (I did not say that the map was wrong, and actually I think it's correct in its Spanish part) are compatible with language policies in Spain today.

Phil Bird
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting, but..., Feb 8, 2009

I'd love to see a few of these maps - maybe one with all the different 'immigrant' language communities (might be a bit difficult, there's over 200 in London!) or how about second (and third) language abilities...

Would probably be far too confusing to follow... but I'd be intrigued.

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:37
English to Greek
+ ...
I got it wrong Feb 8, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Yes, it puzzled me too, but I think they created confusion by including Greek separately under "Other Indo-European". I don't see why they are "other".

Ok. I admit I got it wrong. Instead of reading "other Indo-European languages", I read "other non-Indo-European languages" and I got confused.

They may have Greek under "other" languages, because it isn't directly connected to any other language in Europe. No brothers or sisters...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brothers and sisters! Feb 8, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
They may have Greek under "other" languages, because it isn't directly connected to any other language in Europe. No brothers or sisters...

This somehow reminds me of Meditarraneo, Gabriele Salvatore's 1991 movie. "¡Greece, Spain! ¡One sea, one people! ¡Brothers and sisters!"

chica nueva
Local time: 17:37
Chinese to English
Time-warp, the bigger picture Feb 8, 2009

Subhan Fakhrizada wrote:

Hello,

i found this map of Europe, shows the different language spoken.

For me, it was very interesting.

http://bookofjoe.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5dea53ef010536cb5041970b-pi

regards,

Hello Subhan, Anil:

How are you. Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IE0500BP.png
1500AD: late medieval distribution (after Islamic, Hungarian and Turkic expansions)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IE1500BP.png
500AD: post- Roman Empire and Migrations period distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IE2500BP.png
500BC: mid 1st millennium BC distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IE3500BP.png
1500BC: mid 2nd millennium BC distribution

Lesley

Source: Wikipedia: Indo-European languages

[Edited at 2009-02-08 09:25 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Basque not semitic Feb 8, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Basque classified as a Semitic language. Oh my! How they dare?

There is a divider line between "Semitic" and "Basque" on the legend, so I suspect they don't really regard Basque as semitic.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Interesting map ... but Feb 8, 2009

I enjoyed the language map - but what's this about "Scottish"? I thought the language still spoken in the north and west of Scotland, the Isle of Skye and in Ireland (its official language, I think) was called "Gaelic" - am I wrong?
And some would say "What about Cornish?". In fact, Cornish is not truly "spoken" any more, but some scholars learn it and claim to speak it at home. They're mostly soi-disant bards who flounce around Trencrom Hill on midsummer's day wearing draperies, usually over grey flannels and with steel-rimmed spectacles, somewhat spoiling the mystic Druidic effect ...
Jenny

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Perhaps interesting but at least not complete Feb 8, 2009

Hi Subhan,

the author of the map is the 'World's most popular blogging anesthesiologist' (just go to the homepage to find more information).

The map is not precise enough.
For example: While Sardinian is mentioned as a language (not a dialect), Sicilian is not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_language

As for German: Swiss German and Austrian can be very different from standard German. The map does not reflect the difference.

Best,
Aniello

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Wot about Occitane? Feb 8, 2009

I think my local (SW France) Occitane speakers would be cross that the area shown as Catalan/Occ is far too small Provence is not shown as speaking Provencale, but Occ is described as Provencale, which is only one of it's variants. Béarn still lives and is part of Occ.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Europe mapped by language

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search