IRENE PENNETTA  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2016

Hello everyone!

I need your precious help.

My company requires the translation of a huge load of IT/banking contents from Italian to Spanish - more precisely, addressed to the Mexican banking market.

My point: is there any difference between Spanish in Spain and Spanish in Mexico, exclusively from the professional written production point of view?

I hope I didn't cover again the very same topic of some other message in here. I just foun
... See more
Hello everyone!

I need your precious help.

My company requires the translation of a huge load of IT/banking contents from Italian to Spanish - more precisely, addressed to the Mexican banking market.

My point: is there any difference between Spanish in Spain and Spanish in Mexico, exclusively from the professional written production point of view?

I hope I didn't cover again the very same topic of some other message in here. I just found this one
El español en México y otras reflexiones sociolingüísticas http://www.proz.com/forum/linguistic_diversity/189632-el_español_en_méxico_y_otras_reflexiones_sociolingüísticas.html , but I don't speak Spanish at all

Thank you all

Irene
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Aug 17, 2016

My answer is a definite Yes. I regularly adapt translations made for Spain to Mexican Spanish. When the translation involves jargon, the adaptation usually requires that much text be recast.

HTH

IRENE PENNETTA
IRENE PENNETTA  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what about high profile written language? Aug 17, 2016

Hi Elías,

thanks for answering.
Do you think the same even if we talk about high professional written contexts?

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, definitely Aug 17, 2016

Particularly for specialized and/or marketing texts.

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
This probably wouldn't come up... Aug 19, 2016

...in this kind of work, but obviously, one of the huge differences between Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Central and South America is that the latter don't use "vosotros," only "ustedes."

mughwI
mughwI
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Actually... Aug 19, 2016

Mexico is in North America.

One thing to take into consideration regarding the OP's question is that most large corporations (financial institutions included) localize their material specifically for Mexico.

In my experience, it is not uncommon to see three different versions, one for each Spanish-speaking region (Spain, Latin America, and Mexico).

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Short answer Aug 19, 2016

No. Take the project

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are there any differences between en-US and en-GB? Aug 19, 2016

And that's your answer...

I suggest you check with an expert that can actually look at your content and advise in order to make an informed decision.

[Editado a las 2016-08-19 21:25 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:37
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Spanish and English in North America are not comparable Aug 20, 2016

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:
Are there any differences between en-US and en-GB?
And that's your answer...

I don't think we can compare the two Englishes across the Atlantic with the two (or many) Spanishes across the Atlantic. English was brought into the US and Canada by native speakers of English from the UK, especially Ireland, from where they exodused (to Tom: my coined term, don't go into a fit) to the new territories in North America to escape persecution by Britain and famines induced by British exploitation of Irish resources. Ireland it must be remembered was the first colony of Britain where it perfected the nitty-gritties of colonialism and imperialism, and the Irish responded by fleeing in droves to the new lands in northern America. They were in sufficient numbers and there was much back and forth between Ireland and North America to maintain living contact between the two English-speaking communities, which helped maintain grammatical equivalence between the two and linguistic divergence happened much more slowly and to a minimal extent.

The case of Spanish in the Americas is entirely different. The Spaniards never settled in sufficient numbers in any of their colonies in the Americas to really seed a linguistic colony. They mostly killed off the local population or contributed to their being wiped out by introducing deadly diseases like plague and siphilis. Also, since the Spaniards were among the first colonisers, technologically and financially they did not have the heft to maintain strong contacts with the mother country (ie Spain). Because of this Spanish in these colonies developed and evolved almost independently and accumulated in a short while enough variations to make it entirely different from the Spanish spoken in Spain.

Same is the case with Portuguese.

These languages should be treated as significant variants of their mother languages, and only linguists specially trained or familiar with the variants should take up work in them.

The case of Spanish in Mexico is even more complex. As Texas was part of Mexico till recently, Mexico is closely linked to the US and is heavily influenced by American culture, especially Hollwood. Also the US has been an avidly sought out destination for economic migrants from the entire Latin America who all transit through Mexico enroute to the US and they have brought into Mexico the various versions of Spanish spoken in their respective countries, which are all mutually different. To compound this further, the Spanish in Mexico is also heavily influenced by the other dominant language in the region, ie., US English. In contrast, the Spanish of Spain took in more influence from languages of Europe like French and Italian.

So in my opinion, be doubly careful while taking up any assignment in Mexican Spanish if you only know the Spanish of Spain.

[Edited at 2016-08-20 05:45 GMT]

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, Aug 20, 2016

Sorry, mister Balasubramaniam, but you dont know about you speke, see the history and the quantity of indians populations today in hipanoamerica and in the USA before said those things.

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

The case of Spanish in the Americas is entirely different. The Spaniards never settled in sufficient numbers in any of their colonies in the Americas to really seed a linguistic colony. They mostly killed off the local population or contributed to their being wiped out by introducing deadly diseases like plague and siphilis. .

[Edited at 2016-08-20 05:45 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:07
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Extraordinary Aug 20, 2016

I find it extraordinary that Mr Balasubramaniam makes such categorical assertions about the differences between the Spanish of Spain and the Spanish of Latin America when, it appears, Spanish is not one of the languages he offers professionally.

No, Latin American Spanish is NOT entirely different from the Spanish of Spain. There are differences in vocabulary and pronunciation, certainly, as there are between UK English and American English but - ENITRELY different? Nonsense!
... See more
I find it extraordinary that Mr Balasubramaniam makes such categorical assertions about the differences between the Spanish of Spain and the Spanish of Latin America when, it appears, Spanish is not one of the languages he offers professionally.

No, Latin American Spanish is NOT entirely different from the Spanish of Spain. There are differences in vocabulary and pronunciation, certainly, as there are between UK English and American English but - ENITRELY different? Nonsense!

I have studied Spanish nearly all my life (and am still studying it). I have taught it and used it professionally for decades. I have visited Spain countless times (I studied in Seville among other places) and have visited several Latin American countries. In my experience, the Spanish spoken in Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Bolivia, Colombia, Cuba and Peru is actually more grammatically correct than the Spanish spoken in many parts of Spain, and is certainly easier to understand than the slurred and blurred Spanish of Madrid and Andalucía.

Mr Balasubramaniam, please think a moment before you make such categorical - and inaccurate - observations.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish in Spain VS Spanish in Mexico in writing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »