Thread poster: OlafK
OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
English to German
+ ...
Oct 22, 2008

I started studying Spanish a little while ago, therefore I have a beginner's question. There seem to be some verbs in Spanish that can be reflexive or not without changing their meaning, two examples:
morir- morirse, venir - venirse

Or is there a difference and I just don't get it? I could never get a satisfactory answer out of my teachers.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Guillermo de la Puerta
Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:19
German to Spanish
+ ...
Almost no differences but... Oct 22, 2008

Theoretically there are almost no differences.

When you mean just die, you can use both.
Some slight differences: morirse sounds a bit more coloquial than morir.
In books and newspapers is more common to read "morir".

Morirse ( por algo) can also mean to have a very strong wish of something. For ex. Me muero por los helados ( I "die" for ice creams).

When the death is violent according to the Real Academia always use "morir"

As fo
... See more
Theoretically there are almost no differences.

When you mean just die, you can use both.
Some slight differences: morirse sounds a bit more coloquial than morir.
In books and newspapers is more common to read "morir".

Morirse ( por algo) can also mean to have a very strong wish of something. For ex. Me muero por los helados ( I "die" for ice creams).

When the death is violent according to the Real Academia always use "morir"

As for venir or venirse no difference but I think venirse is a bit more coloquial.

Greetings willdlp
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"No es lo mismo estar jodido que estar jodiendo" Oct 22, 2008

("Not the same to be fucked than to be fucking")
Sorry folks. No offense please. It was not me who said this: It was Nobel prize Camilo José Cela, when accused in the Spanish Senate of being asleep. "No, señor presidente, no estaba dormido sino durmiendo ("No, Mr. President [of the Senate], I was not asleep, but sleeping"). He then added the F sentence to better support his point.

I am not a trained linguist and will not/cannot give you a lecture about your query. There are
... See more
("Not the same to be fucked than to be fucking")
Sorry folks. No offense please. It was not me who said this: It was Nobel prize Camilo José Cela, when accused in the Spanish Senate of being asleep. "No, señor presidente, no estaba dormido sino durmiendo ("No, Mr. President [of the Senate], I was not asleep, but sleeping"). He then added the F sentence to better support his point.

I am not a trained linguist and will not/cannot give you a lecture about your query. There are great professionals here who will give you more information. But I did want to share Mr. Cela's witty point, just as an example of the sometimes difficult nuances in Spanish.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reflexive form denotes a certain involuntary character Oct 22, 2008

It's normal to say, for instance that a plant "se murió". If you drop something accidentally, you can say "se me cayó" (it fell, I didn't mean to drop it).

Regarding Cela, he was playing on the double meaning of "being screwed" and the literal meaning of "joder", and probably challenging anyone who was thinking dirty to come out and admit it, while implicitly saying he didn't fall asleep involuntarily (Mr. President, this is so boring ......
See more
It's normal to say, for instance that a plant "se murió". If you drop something accidentally, you can say "se me cayó" (it fell, I didn't mean to drop it).

Regarding Cela, he was playing on the double meaning of "being screwed" and the literal meaning of "joder", and probably challenging anyone who was thinking dirty to come out and admit it, while implicitly saying he didn't fall asleep involuntarily (Mr. President, this is so boring ...)

[Edited at 2008-10-22 23:40]
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Pronoun often implies "special action" Oct 23, 2008

For some notes on some specific pairs, see Butt & Benjamin ("A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish"), chapter 26.

Trying to see the wood from the trees, one way of looking at things is that the pronominal form (the form with 'me', 'te' etc) often imples some kind of "extra effort", "extra extent" or "special/notable occurrence". For example, "parar" on its own implies "stop, as per schedule", whereas "pararse" implies "stop on this occasion"; "abrir" vs "abrirse" works more or l
... See more
For some notes on some specific pairs, see Butt & Benjamin ("A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish"), chapter 26.

Trying to see the wood from the trees, one way of looking at things is that the pronominal form (the form with 'me', 'te' etc) often imples some kind of "extra effort", "extra extent" or "special/notable occurrence". For example, "parar" on its own implies "stop, as per schedule", whereas "pararse" implies "stop on this occasion"; "abrir" vs "abrirse" works more or less similarly. Saying "lo comío" implies 'he/she ate it' in some boring old way; "se lo comió" implies somthing more like "he/she ate it all up", "he/she wolfed it down".

There may be a bit of regional variation, incidentally. For example, Butt & Benjamin-- possibly biased towards Peninsular Spanish-- note that "morir" vs "morirse" tends to denote accidental vs natural death. But here in Mexico at least, it's quite normal to say e.g. "se murió en un accidente de avión" (which they claim is not possible).
Collapse

Richard Ramirez
Richard Ramirez
Local time: 10:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
verbos pronominales Oct 23, 2008

Here is the whole explanation, if you can read Spanish:

Verbo pronominal es el que exige obligatoriamente un pronombre personal como complemento, como los verbos reflexivos, recíprocos, etc.“

"Verbo pronominal

Se da este nombre al verbo que se conjuga con el pronombre reflexivo. Así, matarse, en la frase cayó a la calle y se mató (frente a se mató con un cuchillo). Este tipo de verbo, tan abundante en español (caerse, herirse, callars
... See more
Here is the whole explanation, if you can read Spanish:

Verbo pronominal es el que exige obligatoriamente un pronombre personal como complemento, como los verbos reflexivos, recíprocos, etc.“

"Verbo pronominal

Se da este nombre al verbo que se conjuga con el pronombre reflexivo. Así, matarse, en la frase cayó a la calle y se mató (frente a se mató con un cuchillo). Este tipo de verbo, tan abundante en español (caerse, herirse, callarse, etc.), parece haber heredado la función de la voz media. A. Bello llama a estos verbos cuasi-reflejos."

“Verbo pronominal

Tipo de verbo que requiere un pronombre para realizarse en un enunciado aun cuando no tenga significado reflexivo; p. e. quejarse, atreverse.”

“Verbo pronominal

Verbo pronominal es el que se construye obligatoriamente con un pronombre. Hay verbos exclusivamente pronominales (arrepentirse, fugarse). Otros adoptan determinados matices significativos o expresivos en las formas reflexivas (caerse, morirse, lavarse, frente a caer, morir, lavar). (La Terminología no recoge la expresión “verbo reflexivo”, término más tradicional pero menos exacto).”

„Pronominal

Se llama voz pronominal en español a los verbos que se construyen en todas sus formas con pronombres reflexivos de igual persona que el sujeto del verbo (Él se arrepiente / Nosotros nos arrepentimos). En general, los verbos pronominales del español corresponden a los verbos medio del indoeuropeo (el sujeto y el agente, que pueden ser distintos, ejercen sobre sí mismos una acción en su beneficio o en su provecho, pudiendo no tener complemento directo como los intransitivos). Se distinguen varios grupos de verbos pronominales o varios empleos de la voz pronominal:

a) Los reflexivos internos o pronominales propiamente dichos, a los que Bello llamaba cuasi-reflexivos, que corresponden a verbos intransitivos (sin objeto directo) y cuya forma activa correspondiente tiene un sentido diferente (o no existe): levantarse, lanzarse, etc. Un grupo importante lo constituyen los verbos de emoción o sentimiento: arrepentirse, espantarse, avergonzarse, etc.

Hay que añadir un grupo con características propias constituido por los intransitivos de movimiento que admiten el empleo del pronombre reflexivo, en ocasiones con valor incoactivo: irse, venirse, marcharse, etc.

b) Los verbos reflexivos propiamente dichos y los recíprocos, en los que el complemento del verbo, idéntico al sujeto de la oración activa, se sustituye por un pronombre reflexivo singular o plural: Pablo lava a Pablo > Pablo se lava; Pedro y Pablo pegan a Pedro y Pablo > Pedro y Pablo se pegan. El verbo tiene el mismo sentido cuando aparece bajo la forma pronominal y cuando no se acompaña del pronombre reflexivo.

c) Los reflexivos indirectos o reflexivos de interés: presentan un complemento directo distinto del pronombre reflexivo: Cómete este pastel. Se bebió dos litros de vino, etc.

d) La pasiva refleja: construcción reflexiva con sentido pasivo: Se vende fruta, Se construyen muchas casas en esta ciudad, etc.“

[Dubois y o.: Diccionario de lingüística, p. 503]

„Llamamos „verbos conjugados pronominalmente“, „formas pronominales del verbo“ o „fórmula pronominal“ a aquellos verbos o formas verbales acompañados de un pronombre me, te, se, nos, os de la misma persona que la desinencia verbal, en las mismas condiciones combinatorias que los otros morfemas (afijos) verbales. A nuestro juicio las construcciones en las que se está en lugar de le delante de lo(s) / la(s) no deben tenerse en cuenta, ya que se trata de un mero accidente fonético: Cuando alguien se los disputa, repugna al feudal acudir ante un tribunal.

Un verbo conjugado pronominalmente puede construirse de tres maneras distintas: con regente solo, únicamente con régimen directo, o sin regente ni régimen. Veremos más adelante que la construcción en la que aparecen a la vez un regente y un régimen solo en apariencia es una fórmula pronominal.

Cuando no hay régimen se encuentran tanto verbos transitivos como intransitivos. Estas construcciones no alcanzan la misma frecuencia.

A diferencia de las otras formas verbales, las formas pronominales del verbo en tercera persona plantean problemas distintos que en otras personas, o cuando menos los plantean con otra intensidad, debido a la existencia de construcciones e interpretaciones que les son propias. Por esta razón se impone, por un lado, estudiar separadamente las formas de la 3a persona y las de 1a y 2a, y, por otro, reunirlas todas para su examen común.“

[Edited at 2008-10-23 14:19]
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody Oct 31, 2008

I guess it's going tto become clearer once I start to develop a feel for the language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish reflexive verbs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »