https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/120601-is_this_arabic_pic.html

Is this arabic? (pic)
Thread poster: somewhitey
somewhitey
somewhitey
English
Nov 14, 2008

this is off a painting that i would like to know more about

it appears to be some type arabic, but i have not been able to find matches. i believe it to be the artist's name or perhaps a date.

thanks guys

[Edited at 2008-11-14 07:03 GMT]

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe Nov 14, 2008

Hmm....it could be Arabic. There's the chance it could be a language that looks similar when written, such as Hindi.

Marta Valdés Enríquez
Marta Valdés Enríquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:07
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
FMHO it is not Nov 14, 2008

Hope this helps:

http://www.proel.org/index.php?pagina=alfabetos

Regards,
Marta

[Edited at 2008-11-14 08:23 GMT]

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 15:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Not Arabic Nov 14, 2008

Hi,
This is not Arabic, I wonder what it is! This could help http://www.omniglot.com/writing/alphabets.htm

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
suggestion: change the title to your thread Nov 14, 2008

Something like: do you recognize this alphabet?
It looks like Greek, just I don't know what those accents mean
(never studied Ancient Greek, just know some symbols from maths)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Not Hindi Nov 14, 2008

Srta Sara wrote:

Hmm....it could be Arabic. There's the chance it could be a language that looks similar when written, such as Hindi.

No, it does not resemble Hindi at all.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:37
German to English
Is it a language? Nov 14, 2008

Couldn't it be some kind of shorthand?

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Shorthand Nov 14, 2008

I know pitman's and it's not that.

Stephen Gobin
Stephen Gobin
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
German to English
+ ...
Artists Nov 14, 2008

You've said it's from a painting. Who's the artist? Artists sometimes devise their own kind of trademark signature. I think this may answer your question...

LukaszPL
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Telugu or Gujarati? Nov 14, 2008

Could it possibly be Telugu or Gujarati?

somewhitey
somewhitey
English
TOPIC STARTER
Telugu seems likely Nov 15, 2008

thanks for the replies, people. Incase anyone wonders, I had to alter the image because at the time I did not have the piece to reference from and was left with my memory alone. If it is of any help I will take pictures of the original piece. I only did it this way because it's kind of hard to see, and small.

Stephen Gobin wrote:

You've said it's from a painting. Who's the artist? Artists sometimes devise their own kind of trademark signature. I think this may answer your question...

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm hoping to find out what language it is to have it translated and traced back to the artist.

All I know about the painting (fresco actually) is it's possibly of ancient Etruscan or African origins. But I have looked at the alphabets and it hardly resembles any of the characters.

Telugu does seem promising though, there is much more resemblance except for the accent marks, which will take me some time to figure out. Whenever I get more time I will look into it, but this definitely appears to be the most likely of all.

[Edited at 2008-11-15 00:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-15 00:34 GMT]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 15:07
English to Greek
+ ...
Definitely not Greek Nov 15, 2008

I suspected from the very beginning that it was neither ancient nor medieval nor modern Greek. Now that you changed the image, I can tell for sure that it isn't Greek.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
More geograpfical and historical context would be helpful Nov 15, 2008

All I know about the painting (fresco actually) is it's possibly of ancient Etruscan or African origins. But I have looked at the alphabets and it hardly resembles any of the characters.

Telugu does seem promising though, there is much more resemblance except for the accent marks, which will take me some time to figure out.

Do you have some information about where the painting is located and when it was created?

I guess that would help to reduce the number of possibilities.

You thought it could be Arabic, Etruscan or Telugu. These three languages are quite far from one another in terms of history and geography.

If the painting was made in Italy in 500 BC, it is highly unlikely that the language could be Arabic or Telugu.

If the painting had been made in India in 500 AD, then it is not very likely that it is Arabic or Etruscan.

Where and when was the painting made?

Daniel

somewhitey
somewhitey
English
TOPIC STARTER
bought in 1940s, but may be older Nov 15, 2008

dgmaga wrote:

Do you have some information about where the painting is located and when it was created?

The painting has been in my family's possession for a very long time, and like I've said I know very little about it. Unfortunately, those who would know something about it are dead.

If the painting was made in Italy in 500 BC, it is highly unlikely that the language could be Arabic or Telugu.

If the painting had been made in India in 500 AD, then it is not very likely that it is Arabic or Etruscan.

Where and when was the painting made?

The painting was purchased in the early 1940s over in Africa, but it was said to be much older than that.

[Edited at 2008-11-16 08:42 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this arabic? (pic)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »