Off topic: Discourse
Thread poster: Farzad Akmali

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Feb 22, 2009

Imagine ourself in the following situation,what and how would you respond?

1) You are in a bookstore. A boy the same age as you whom you don't know is going to buy a book. you remember that another bookstore down the street sells this book half price

you say to the boy: "............" ???????????

how: " in public, whispering,privately, in a normal voice, etc."????????

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd say... Feb 23, 2009

I would say to the boy: "Hey, you can buy that for half that price at (name) bookstore down the street". I would just say it in a normal voice, but I would not care if other customers, employees or the owner of the bookstore overheard it.

Maybe in other cultures it might be different, I don't know. Maybe in other cultures you could risk getting shot by someone, but not in mine.

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:42
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Character issue Feb 23, 2009

"you know, its much cheaper at XXXX" I [brashly remarked, mumbled with embarassment, stated with exaggerated pride, offhandedly remarked, somewhat childishly giggled, shamefully whispered].

It all depends on the movitation and character of the child.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discourse

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search