Discourse analysis
Thread poster: Farzad Akmali
Farzad Akmali
Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 24, 2009

Please imagine yourself in the following situation,what would you respond to the people in the situation and how (whispring, in a normal voice, etc)??

You are in a supermarket. A woman whom you haven't seen before is buying a bottle of milk. You notice that the expiry date of the milk has passed. The lady, however, does not seem to be aware of it and prepares to pay for the milk.

You say to her: "....."??????????

how???

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:18
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I would politely inform the person. Feb 24, 2009

I would inform her politely and in a normal voice of the milk's expiration date, like this: "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice, and wanted to let you know in case you hadn't, that the milk you are buying is about to expire."

I would then smile and leave it at that.

[Edited at 2009-02-24 13:12 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 00:18
Chinese to English
What I would do ... Feb 24, 2009

Assuming I am at the supermarket (ie my local supermarket) and next in the queue, and depending on how busy it was etc

I would raise my eyebrows and catch his/her eye maybe

then after the lady had gone, I would say 'hello' smile etc to him/her,

and then possibly mention that 'the milk had passed its expiry date' ...

'I think the milk was past its expiry date'

[Edited at 2009-02-25 22:11 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I would... Feb 25, 2009

Farzad Akmali wrote:
You are in a supermarket. A woman whom you haven't seen before is buying a bottle of milk. You notice that the expiry date of the milk has passed. The lady, however, does not seem to be aware of it and prepares to pay for the milk.

If I'm close enough to point to the bottle so that my finger gets to within 30 cm of the bottle, I would point to the bottle (or the date if possible) and say (to no-one in particular, but somewhat in her direction) in a slightly surprised but conversational tone "It looks like this milk is past its expiry date" (although I'm not sure what words I would use). If I'm not close enough, I'd still point to the bottle but I'd address her more directly, saying in a neutral tone "I think that milk is past its expiry date".

Does this answer your question? What exactly do you want to know?

Farzad Akmali
Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I need the exact phrase or sentence you may say in the context and situation Feb 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Farzad Akmali wrote:

If I'm close enough to point to the bottle so that my finger gets to within 30 cm of the bottle, I would point to the bottle (or the date if possible) and say (to no-one in particular, but somewhat in her direction) in a slightly surprised but conversational tone "It looks like this milk is past its expiry date" (although I'm not sure what words I would use). If I'm not close enough, I'd still point to the bottle but I'd address her more directly, saying in a neutral tone "I think that milk is past its expiry date".

Does this answer your question? What exactly do you want to know?

Dear Samuel:

Thanks a lot, it was of great help, Could you please see the following link
http://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/128470-english_discourse_and_cultural_situational_response.html

Actually I need 12 sentences for the 12 situations, could you please be kind enough to help me on the topic? I would appreciate it if you would do the favour! Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discourse analysis

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »