Can anyone identify this language?
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
Polish to English
+ ...
what if...? Aug 21, 2003

I visited the contextinc site and could not find my way to that picture...
The name of that particular page is "scans.html".

What if these are just a bunch of diacriticals put together any which way for the purpose of e.g. proving the scanning ability of a particular piece of software?

Unlikely, I know, because the patterns repeat (the first 3 'words' in the first 2 lines repeat etc.)
Maybe it's ciphered text? I'm sure there is an enterprising fanatic among
... See more
I visited the contextinc site and could not find my way to that picture...
The name of that particular page is "scans.html".

What if these are just a bunch of diacriticals put together any which way for the purpose of e.g. proving the scanning ability of a particular piece of software?

Unlikely, I know, because the patterns repeat (the first 3 'words' in the first 2 lines repeat etc.)
Maybe it's ciphered text? I'm sure there is an enterprising fanatic among us who would be willing to give it a try.

Just some thoughts on an interesting discussion.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:06
English to German
+ ...
It is Greek in wrong code page (our codepage) Aug 21, 2003

.. as I pointed out in my 2nd posting ..

Sara Noss
Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
To Daniel Bird Aug 21, 2003

Daniel,

Don't believe him, I hear he's a liar!

)

Cheers,
Sara.

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:06
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, it's Greek and it says... Aug 21, 2003

in Greek "Ï ÷ñÞóôçò äåí õðÜñ÷åé. Ï ÷ñÞóôçò äåí âñÝèçêå. ×ñçóéìïðïéÞóôå ôï êïõìðß ôçò ÅðéóôñïöÞò."
in Greekish "O xristis den yparxei. O xristis den vrethike. Xrisimopoihste to koumpi tis epistrofis."
which in English means "User does not exist. User not found. Use the Return button".

It is in the wrong Codepage. By comparing a Greek html page viewed in the right Codepage with the same page viewed in t
... See more
in Greek "Ï ÷ñÞóôçò äåí õðÜñ÷åé. Ï ÷ñÞóôçò äåí âñÝèçêå. ×ñçóéìïðïéÞóôå ôï êïõìðß ôçò ÅðéóôñïöÞò."
in Greekish "O xristis den yparxei. O xristis den vrethike. Xrisimopoihste to koumpi tis epistrofis."
which in English means "User does not exist. User not found. Use the Return button".

It is in the wrong Codepage. By comparing a Greek html page viewed in the right Codepage with the same page viewed in the wrong Codepage, it's easy to find wich letter corresponds to each character. Then decoding is rather easy.

[Edited at 2003-08-21 13:07]

[Edited at 2003-08-21 13:18]
Collapse

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, it's Greek and it says... Aug 21, 2003

in Greek "Ï ×ñÞóôçò äåí õðÜñ÷åé. Ï ×ñÞóôçò äåí âñÝèçêå. ×ñçóéìïðïéÞóôå ôï êïõìðß ôçò ÅðéóôñïöÞò."
which in English means "User does not exist. User not found. Use the Return button."
It was a bit difficult to decode it but Harry_B showed the path to the solution.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone.. Aug 21, 2003

.. for sorting this out for me. It was well worth waiting for!

Someone came in off the street and asked us to translate it. She said it was the last few lines of an email she had received. I'm sure she'll be thrilled when she finds out what it means.

Thanks again.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
To Daniel Bird & Sara :-) Aug 21, 2003

There's a guy...

...works down the chipshop swears it's Elvish.

I've been waiting YEARS to do this gag, so humour me.

DB

Babayaga wrote:

Daniel,

Don't believe him, I hear he's a liar!

)

Cheers,
Sara.

Or is it that elves and humans have a different concept of truth, because they follow a different code
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-08-21 18:39]

Alexander Savvin
Alexander Savvin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
Possibly corrupted Cyrillic Aug 22, 2003

This happens when using TRADOS. If the source font is set to Arial TRADOS always corrupts the text when validating the segment.

To view the restored translation I go to Tools>Recover Corrupted Text.

Hope that helps.

Sara Noss
Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Giuli Aug 22, 2003

You are so right. All too often I make the mistake of confusing our mores with those of other realms. I upset a goblin once by committing the very same error.)

Have a good weekend!
Sara.

PS - It was a nice way to be reminded of a great song though....
See more
You are so right. All too often I make the mistake of confusing our mores with those of other realms. I upset a goblin once by committing the very same error.)

Have a good weekend!
Sara.

PS - It was a nice way to be reminded of a great song though.
http://www.kirstymaccoll.com/lyrics/lyrics/chipshop.htm
Collapse

Sprachprof (X)
Sprachprof (X)
Latin to English
+ ...
Codepage Conversion Tool Aug 22, 2003

I found a very useful add-in to Microsoft Word online somewhere: csdecode.dot, which can put texts like the above into its correct code page again.
It supports the following code pages and it can convert between any of them:

ANSI code page
OEM code page
Arabic (Windows)
Baltic (Windows)
Center European (Windows & Dos)
Simplified Chinese (GB2312 and HZ)
Traditional Chinese (Big5)
Cyrillic (Windows & Dos)
Greek (Windows)
He
... See more
I found a very useful add-in to Microsoft Word online somewhere: csdecode.dot, which can put texts like the above into its correct code page again.
It supports the following code pages and it can convert between any of them:

ANSI code page
OEM code page
Arabic (Windows)
Baltic (Windows)
Center European (Windows & Dos)
Simplified Chinese (GB2312 and HZ)
Traditional Chinese (Big5)
Cyrillic (Windows & Dos)
Greek (Windows)
Hebrew (Windows)
Japanese (5 forms and automatic)
Korean (3 forms and automatic)
Thai (Windows)
Turkish (Windows)
Unicode (UTF-7 and UTF-8)
User defined
Vietnamese (Windows)
Western European

It has proven very valuable to me because I have Chinese and Greek penfriends, whose e-mails usually look like the text above until I decode them. And this add-in is free.
Sorry I can't tell you exactly on which webpage I found it, probably download.com .
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
What a strange turn that thread took... Aug 22, 2003

Babayaga wrote:

Have a good weekend!
Sara.

PS - It was a nice way to be reminded of a great song though.
http://www.kirstymaccoll.com/lyrics/lyrics/chipshop.htm[/quote]

...good to see we're all demob happy at the end of a long week
Best
Dan

Dylan Edwards
Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Greek to English
+ ...
It's Greek, probably Aug 23, 2003

I think it's a wrongly encoded alphabet. I tried it with Cyrillic first, but didn't get any convincing results.
Then I found that it looks even more like wrongly encoded Greek - Greek as I see it on ProZ.com before I switch to Greek Alphabet (Windows). The results look very promising so far.
The first two lines seem to say:
O christis den yparchei
The user does not exist

O christis den vrethike
The user was not found

Yes, it really does se
... See more
I think it's a wrongly encoded alphabet. I tried it with Cyrillic first, but didn't get any convincing results.
Then I found that it looks even more like wrongly encoded Greek - Greek as I see it on ProZ.com before I switch to Greek Alphabet (Windows). The results look very promising so far.
The first two lines seem to say:
O christis den yparchei
The user does not exist

O christis den vrethike
The user was not found

Yes, it really does seem to be Greek, complete with two kinds of lower-case sigma (s): o acute for the initial and medial sigma, and o grave for the final sigma.
The letter which looks like a p in the handwriting is probably the Anglo-Saxon (or Icelandic) letter which I think is called "thorn", and on the evidence I've seen so far, this corresponds to a Greek lower-case eta with an accent on it (yes, an accented Greek vowel comes out as something completely different from its unaccented counterpart).
My guess is that the first word on the next line is Chrisimopoiiste, "Use" (imperative).
It would take me a while to work out the rest. Perhaps I'll return to it later.

Apologies for complicating things by using transliterated Greek, which doesn't correspond on an exact letter-for-letter basis to the Greek spelling (my experience with keying in Greek on ProZ.com is that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) - but I think anyone with a knowledge of Greek will see what I'm trying to say here.

Probably x corresponds to a capital chi (X) and a divide sign corresponds to a lower-case chi (x).
Collapse

Dylan Edwards
Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Greek to English
+ ...
I arrived at the same answer. It's Greek. Aug 23, 2003

When I posted my answer earlier today, I hadn't seen Dimitra Karamperi's answer. I've just worked out the last bit about the return button/key.
I agree entirely.

Just a final comment: I can't really follow the path this discussion took, but one or two people were on the right track early on...
I'm not sure all the original Greek was correctly accented, and the word for "use" (xrisimopoiiste) still looks to me as if it has a letter missing (the i before the m).

... See more
When I posted my answer earlier today, I hadn't seen Dimitra Karamperi's answer. I've just worked out the last bit about the return button/key.
I agree entirely.

Just a final comment: I can't really follow the path this discussion took, but one or two people were on the right track early on...
I'm not sure all the original Greek was correctly accented, and the word for "use" (xrisimopoiiste) still looks to me as if it has a letter missing (the i before the m).

I'm glad to say I've never had to do a translation assignment like this, though a couple of times I've had to "translate" English which was printed in a Greek font.

[Edited at 2003-08-24 08:33]
Collapse

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
South American? Aug 26, 2003

It could be a transcript of some South American Indian language.
Amazonas:The use of "ç" may indicate Portuguese/Brazilian language transcriptor.

Now I see the previous post. Sorry

[Edited at 2003-08-26 11:11]

Marco Cevoli
Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Found tool in Download.com Sep 2, 2003

Sprachprof wrote:

Sorry I can't tell you exactly on which webpage I found it, probably download.com .

Here it is:
Name: Charset Decoding 1.06
Link: http://download.com.com/3000-2064-10127586.html?tag=lst-0-21

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone identify this language?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »