https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/171010-the_word_%22fan%22_not_in_the_sense_of_ventilating_device.html

The word "fan" (not in the sense of ventilating device)
Thread poster: George Trail
George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:03
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
May 15, 2010

Like most people, I heard the word "fan" a lot as a teenager; mostly to designate those who claim a conscious fondness of certain singers and other celebrities, or a particular trend. For example: "I have always been a fan of Girls Aloud because I find that theirs is such great music to dance to - but they definitely have heart as well, there's no doubt about that."

That's "fan" in the traditional sense of the word; but it's a word to which, in context, can be attache
... See more
Like most people, I heard the word "fan" a lot as a teenager; mostly to designate those who claim a conscious fondness of certain singers and other celebrities, or a particular trend. For example: "I have always been a fan of Girls Aloud because I find that theirs is such great music to dance to - but they definitely have heart as well, there's no doubt about that."

That's "fan" in the traditional sense of the word; but it's a word to which, in context, can be attached a definite sense of disingenuity that attracts derision. I think you know what I'm talking about. For example, dressing like your favourite rock star on principle is not a sign that you understand them or their music. I'm sure most of us are able to label someone who, in their statements that they are a fan of someone, is more likely to embarrass the people they so look up to than to, you know, endear themselves to them - and then there are those whose attachment to someone has left them with views of the world around them that were literally enough to ruin their lives.

All of us agree that "fan" is essentially a "good" word: evoking a sense of one being positively inspired by the work and / or acts of someone else, which is exactly what that person would have wanted; and what could be better than that? But, speaking as both a linguist and a philanthropist, I won't deny my feeling compelled to ask: is "fan" really short for "fanatic"? Was that the case from the very beginning?
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:03
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, it undoubtedly is May 17, 2010

But, speaking as both a linguist and a philanthropist, I won't deny my feeling compelled to ask: is "fan" really short for "fanatic"?

A short survey in the etymology dictionary would reveal that it is. Although I must agree, I am ashamed of using such awful, old-fashioned ways of research such as consulting dictionaries without thinking about the problems at hand for a longer period of time...

[end of sarcasm...]

[Upraveno: 2010-05-17 15:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The word "fan" (not in the sense of ventilating device)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »