Best Russian-English-Russian dictionaries
Thread poster: Susan Dingle
Susan Dingle
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Aug 18, 2011

Hello everyone

I am new to this site and to the field of translating and would appreciate people's thoughts on their best English-Russian-English dictionaries. I have an old dictionary from when I first moved to St Petersburg to study but I feel it will almost certainly be inadequate now and am looking to buy myself a definitive, comprehensive GENERAL (ie non-subject specific) dictionary for my professional use. I would love to hear what people like to use and why!

Thanks in advance for any comments you might post in response to this.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:44
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Multitran Aug 18, 2011

Multitran (http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=default) is very good, but as with all dictionaries with contributions from users, some things need to be taken with a grain of salt. The pay and download version is more reliable and faster than the on-line version.

For hard to find terms http://dic.academic.ru/ is very useful. You may not find a translation, but you will find a definition of even the most obscure words.

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Mark is right Aug 18, 2011

Multitran is the best (and they do not pay me commission to say that).

Susan, also, if you expect as you say professional use, it makes sense to invest into a full version vs. free online version. Once you see the difference I am sure you will understand why. Good luck! I cannot imagine life without Multitran..

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
ABBYY Lingvo Aug 18, 2011

Here.

Andrey Reznikov
English to Russian
+ ...
Apresyan's Dictionary Aug 18, 2011

Новый большой англо-русский словарь под общим руководством акад. Ю.Д. Апресяна. (3 volumes).

It has superior quality, as compared to any other general dictionary.
There is an online version, as well.

Hope it helps,
AR

Alexander Itskovich  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
English to Russian
GoldenDict Aug 19, 2011

You can use GoldenDict http://goldendict.org/dictionaries.php. It has a download with Apresyan En-Ru and Smirnitskiy Ru-En dictionaries and supports various file formats.

[Edited at 2011-08-20 12:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Russian-English-Russian dictionaries

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search