Logical issue: sending money to the source
Thread poster: Krzysztof Achinger

Krzysztof Achinger  Identity Verified
Poland
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2011

Hi
I came across this issue about logical sense of one of the sentences in PayPal Help Center.

You can withdraw money from PayPal balance to your bank account or credit card, but the way it was put in English does not make logical sense to me. It even more does not make sense to me when translated to Polish.

Would any kind native English have a look at that and let me know if I am right about it?

3. Select the source you want to withdraw money from. (that one is correct)
4. Select the source you want to add money to. (and here is the one with logical error - IMHO you cannot add something to the source as per definition source is the place of thing's origin)

I would suggest the content managers to alter this sentence to something like:

4. Select the 'destination account' you want to add money to.

What do you think?

Greets
Kris

Direct link Reply with quote

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:10
Hebrew to English
Source account / Deposit account Oct 9, 2011

I think this would be a better, more user-friendly distinction, it's also more logical.

1. Select the source account you want to withdraw funds from.
2. Select the deposit account you want to add/transfer funds to.

I'm guessing the person responsible for its creation wasn't very linguistically minded.

Whether they change it or not....depends, not everybody cares so much about language

Krzysztof Achinger  Identity Verified
Poland
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I can make them change this Oct 9, 2011

Thank you for such a prompt reply!

Your suggestions are very useful and I am going to make so called 'content managers' to change the source strings so that it is logical.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Logical issue: sending money to the source

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search