How could Ziad Fazah manage to speak 58 languages?
Thread poster: RafaLee
RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 00:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2004

Dear all,

I am wondering how Ziad Fazah, the greatest living linguist in the world, has managed to speak 50+ languages ? I heard that he already had known 30+ languages when he was 17. What techniques did he use to learn those languages?

Rafa

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:08
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Link Jun 22, 2004

Interesting topic, Rafa. Try this link, maybe it works for you. I can't open it here in China. If it works and is a good read, please paste it here. Thanks. The description on google says that here he explains what is important in studying languages.

www.fortunecity.com/marina/caribbean/213/memo2.htm

Stefanie

[Edited at 2004-06-22 15:44]

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Link on learning languages Jun 22, 2004

Here is another link on language learning that I just found. Looks neat and the few articles that I have opened so far are informative and well-written.

http://www.micheloud.com/FXM/LA/

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Here is what the page says... Interesting to say the least! Jun 23, 2004

sundari wrote:

Interesting topic, Rafa. Try this link, maybe it works for you. I can't open it here in China. If it works and is a good read, please paste it here. Thanks. The description on google says that here he explains what is important in studying languages.

www.fortunecity.com/marina/caribbean/213/memo2.htm

Stefanie

[Edited at 2004-06-22 15:44]

MEMORIZING:
Tips to study foreign languages.

Memorizing courses usually show four techniques to help you to better memorize:

ATTENTION Ler ou ouvir com atençao significa relacionar as novas informaçoes com experiencias e conhecimentos próprios.
ORGANIZATION A pessoa lembra melhor de uma soluçao quando chegou a ela por esforço próprio do que quando simplesmente memorizou a soluçao encontrada por outra pessoa.
REPETITION A repetiçao sistematizada da informação também contribui em parte para retençao do material na memória
PRACTICE Most important step: PRACTICE EVERYDAY! Memorizing courses without practicing is useless

CLASSIC MUSIC also contribute to retain information, making the mind more receptive. When the brain works at low frequency of waves, it becomes more open to receive more information. Nowadays, there are comproved studies about it.
Most of the time, the memorizing courses teach ASSOCIATION techniques.
The more ridicule the association is, the easier you learn!

For example: You want to memorize 3 words. The first is "lake". And so, you simply IMAGINE a lake. If the second is "trunk", you can imagine the trunk falling into the lake. If the third is "shoes", you can imagine alot of shoes inside the trunk. Sometimes, words could remember bad or funny things or words. It also can help you to memorize. A lot of people can laught on this, but this technique is very produtive. Remember: You need to live the imagination. The impression must be very strong!
However, to study foreign languages, the specific books suggest to use every possible ressources of the choosed language.

If you want to study french, for instance, its a better idea to buy a grammar (preferably with a cassete), a dictionary, a phrasebook (travelbook with the basic words and phrases), french musics, french magazines with your favorite subject, and everything that you can find about it. Even in the internet, you can find a lot of things. The more you find, better. This is the best way to do. In addition to that, to have foreign friends can also be very good.

With this in his hands, Ziad Fazah, the biggest poliglote of the world, suggests to study in seven steps:

Reading with a loud voice Read and repeat the sentences several times during the day
Visualization Read visualizing each sentence during 2 minutes.
Memorizing Revise each dialog or gramatical rule in silence until you memorize them as a whole.
Question yourself Cover the words with your hands, on the book. Remember the meanings (and synonims!) then checke the translation.
Declamation Simulate a dialog, making your own speech.
Answer and Checking Answer the exercises proposed by books
Aprimorate Revise the lessons.

On this page, I put a program that can help your to practice.
It´s a crossword program that has crosswords, clues, jungling words and others games that work with words. Type a word list that you want to study and print several games with them. Its a funny method to practice, because, you don´t perceive but you are learning several words while resting your mind. You are using the REPETITION.
André Gouvea

ga5 (X)
ga5 (X)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
it is not strange Jun 24, 2004

dear ladies and gentlemen
one of the greatest Ukrianian linguists A Krymsky reacting on the question how many languages he knew replied it is easier for me to count on fingers how many languages i dont know then that i can speak.

indeed he spoke more then 60 languages but noone knows the number exactly !!!

[Edited at 2004-06-24 01:09]

[Edited at 2004-06-24 01:09]

drmab
drmab
English to French
What's in a linguist? Jun 25, 2004

RafaLee wrote:

Ziad Fazah, the greatest living linguist in the world

Could you tell me what you mean by \"greatest living linguist\"?

Marc

RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 00:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well.. Jul 2, 2004

Well, I just quoted it from guiness book of record..I assume it means that he speak most languages in the world.

Azlopqa
Azlopqa
Catalan to English
Antworte Nov 26, 2007

RafaLee wrote:

Dear all,

I am wondering how Ziad Fazah, the greatest living linguist in the world, has managed to speak 50+ languages ? I heard that he already had known 30+ languages when he was 17. What techniques did he use to learn those languages?

Rafa

Answer? He can't. He is fluent (though clearly not native) in some common languages, such as English, French or Spanish, but when it comes to Mandarin, Finnish, Russian, Urdu... he clearly hasn't got a clue. Search in Youtube Ziad Fazah and you will see the truth being spoken in a Chilean TV programme.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How could Ziad Fazah manage to speak 58 languages?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »