Thread poster: Trastec

Trastec
Canada
Local time: 20:19
English to French
+ ...
Nov 9, 2004

Hello
I would like to know what does fellow translators think about this topic.
"Do we need a to creat a single terminolgy for English «french translations in that we wouldn,t always have to specify English«french(canada) often demanded by our clients.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Are looking for region-neutral terminology? Nov 17, 2004

I suspect that it's not likely to happen in our lifetimes.
A hundred years ago GB Shaw wrote that America and England were two countries separated by a common language. In many ways this may be less the case as before, but I can't see the US and the UK agreeing on standard terminology any more than I might expect France and Canada to do so. The same is true with regard to Spanish, even within Latin America.
Kevin

Trastec
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Terminology-Glossary Nov 17, 2004

Hi
Thank you for your intervention on this open topic.
As a matter of fact I was expecting more reaction, well lets hope our fellow translators would speak up!
As a matter of facts since my arrival in Canada I can only grap terms which has it equivalent in English thus
Merci (FR)«instead of De rien
Canada(FR)"Bienvenu"«You are welcome"
*Auto«Voiture(Fr)
*Ma blonde«Ma copaine"(FR)
These are just to mention a few.
What we are faced with is the clients who precise either their documents are translated into FR OR Canada.
Thank you onces again I 'm still expecting replies.
Liz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology-Glossary

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search