https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/274570-stephen_king_on_teaching_writing.html

Stephen King on teaching writing
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:18
Chinese to English
Sep 11, 2014

Lahey: You write, “One either absorbs the grammatical principles of one’s native language in conversation and in reading or one does not.” If this is true, why teach grammar in school at all? Why bother to name the parts?

King: When we name the parts, we take away the mystery and turn writing into a problem that can be solved. I used to tell them that if you could put together a model car or assemble a piece of furniture from directions, you could write a sentence. Reading is the key, though. A kid who grows up hearing “It don’t matter to me” can only learn doesn’t if he/she reads it over and over again.
Lahey: In the introduction to Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style, E.B. White recounts William Strunk’s instruction to “omit needless words.” While your books are voluminous, your writing remains concise. How do you decide which words are unnecessary and which words are required for the telling?

King: It’s what you hear in your head, but it’s never right the first time. So you have to rewrite it and revise it. My rule of thumb is that a short story of 3,000 words should be rewritten down to 2,500. It’s not always true, but mostly it is. You need to take out the stuff that’s just sitting there and doing nothing. No slackers allowed! All meat, no filler!
Jessica Lahey: In On Writing, you identified some phrases that should be excised from every writer’s toolbox: “At this point in time” and “at the end of the day.” Any new irksome phrases you’d be willing to share? (Mine’s “on accident.”)

King: “Some people say,” or “Many believe,” or “The consensus is.” That kind of lazy attribution makes me want to kick something. Also, IMHO, YOLO, and LOL.
Lahey: Great writing often resides in the sweet spot between grammatical mastery and the careful bending of rules. How do you know when students are ready to start bending? When should a teacher put away his red pen and let those modifiers dangle?

King: I think you have to make sure they know what they’re doing with those danglers, those fragmentary and run-on sentences, those sudden digressions. If you can get a satisfactory answer to “Why did you write it this way?” they’re fine.
Lahey: Oxford comma: yea or nay?

King: It can go either way. For instance, I like “Jane bought eggs, milk, bread, and a candy bar for her brother.” But I also like “Jane raced home and slammed the door,” because I want to feel that whole thing as a single breath.
King: I tried to give assignments that would teach kids to be specific. I used to repeat “See, then say” half a dozen times a day. So I would often ask them to describe operations that they take for granted. Ask a girl to write a paragraph on how she braids her sister’s hair. Ask a boy to explain a sports rule. These are just basic starting points, where students learn to write on paper what they might tell a friend. It keeps it concrete. If you ask a kid to write on “My Favorite Movie,” you’re opening the door to subjectivity, and hence to a flood of clichés.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/09/how-stephen-king-teaches-writing/379870/

Personally, I think Stephen King is overrated as a writer of fiction. But all things are relative: if I could write like that guy, I'd be over the moon!

Interesting ideas on writing and grammar here, some of them very relevant to our work.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Back in the day Sep 11, 2014

His stories would scare me to death when I was younger.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 11:18
French to English
+ ...
On Writing, an excellent guide Sep 11, 2014

Hi Phil,

Although I have come to see Stephen King as a pulp writer, I did enjoy him as a teenager, and I do have a funny sort of attachment to him still today. His genre is indubitably garish, but he is more talented and prolific than most bestselling authors.

Fiction aside, his book On Writing is an excellent guide to more effective creative writing where he relates the principles he has learned through long years of experience in his familiar no-nonsense voice. He la
... See more
Hi Phil,

Although I have come to see Stephen King as a pulp writer, I did enjoy him as a teenager, and I do have a funny sort of attachment to him still today. His genre is indubitably garish, but he is more talented and prolific than most bestselling authors.

Fiction aside, his book On Writing is an excellent guide to more effective creative writing where he relates the principles he has learned through long years of experience in his familiar no-nonsense voice. He lays down simple rules - such as "avoid adverbs" - that stick with you. Every few years I get it down and flip through it, and I always end up engrossed in his words.

I highly recommend this book. Delicious food for thought (no bones).

[Edited at 2014-09-11 09:31 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, very inspiring . Sep 11, 2014

He is definitely a very good writer--especially in terms of craftsmanship. I like the ideas in some of his books as well--others are too weird. Yes, cliches--we should definitely avoid cliches, which some people simply take for idioms.

[Edited at 2014-09-11 10:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stephen King on teaching writing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »