https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/30458-%22wedgie%22_has_made_it_into_websters_dictionary.html

"Wedgie" has made it into Webster's Dictionary!
Thread poster: Edward Potter
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2005

'Wedgie' Added to Webster's Dictionary

Mon Mar 14, 5:42 PM ET Top Stories - AP

CLEVELAND - Wedgie, a teenager's locker-room nightmare, has made it into the dictionary. Webster's New World College Dictionary based in Cleveland said wedgie was among its new additions to its latest edition.

The new edition will carry this listing: wedgie: noun. a prank in which the victim's undershorts are jerked upward so as to become wedged between the buttocks.
... See more

CLEVELAND - Wedgie, a teenager's locker-room nightmare, has made it into the dictionary. Webster's New World College Dictionary based in Cleveland said wedgie was among its new additions to its latest edition.

The new edition will carry this listing: wedgie: noun. a prank in which the victim's undershorts are jerked upward so as to become wedged between the buttocks.

The dictionary also carries the tradition wedgie definition of a type of shoe.

"`Wedgie' was always a part of the high school terminology that you sort of never thought about later," said Editor in Chief Michael Agnes.

"It never really entered the mainstream until the '90s. It broke out of high school and, boy — if you don't know what it is, you're absolutely at a loss."

The new edition will reach bookstores by May and has 58 new entries, plus another 20 new senses of existing words (such as wedgie).

The additions include Al Qaeda, blog, cargo pants, irritable bowel syndrome and partial-birth abortion.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=7&u=/ap/20050314/ap_on_fe_st/dictionary_additions

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-15 17:28]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-24 11:59]
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:49
German to English
+ ...
already in the Oxford dico... Mar 15, 2005

and noted as 'chiefly N. Amer'.

I must have had a deprived childhood - I always thought a wedgie was a type of golf club.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Wedgie!!!!!!! Mar 15, 2005

I know, we must be a pretty sick family, but Wedgie!! must be one of the first words in my kids vocabularies. And I have got three of them (kids complete with vocabulaties, that is). I suppose, having older stepbrothers who loved watching Simpsons contributed.

Burrell

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:49
Member (2004)
English to French
They forgot about the atomic wedgie Mar 15, 2005

Which means to pull the underpants out of the trousers, over the victim's head!

Ouch!

Nina

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Georgian to English
+ ...
Not forgetting (Veggie) Wedgies and (Potato) Wedgies ("tater or tattie":-) Mar 15, 2005

(for anyone feeling hungry after hard work reading the OED) http://www.vegsoc.org/youth/foodlife4.html
and the once famous nickname for a former British MP and Cabinet Minister, and his no less noteworthy Dad http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/TUbenn.htm
http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/local_interest/famous_faces/public/tbenn.html
(all origins somewhat different).

Kenneth Cox wrote:

I must have had a deprived childhood - I always thought a wedgie was a type of golf club.

[Edited at 2005-03-30 08:36]

Ken Spector
Ken Spector
English
"wedgie" vs. "wedge" Mar 28, 2005

Kenneth Cox wrote: I must have had a deprived childhood - I always thought a wedgie was a type of golf club.

That's a "wedge", is it not?

Oreocookie (X)
Oreocookie (X)
wedge Mar 30, 2005

Ken Spector wrote:

Kenneth Cox wrote: I must have had a deprived childhood - I always thought a wedgie was a type of golf club.

That's a "wedge", is it not?

Yes, there are two of those in golf - a pitching wedge and a sand wedge.

Oreocookie (X)
Oreocookie (X)
more phrases for Webster Mar 30, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:

The dictionary also carries the tradition wedgie definition of a type of shoe.

"`Wedgie' was always a part of the high school terminology that you sort of never thought about later," said Editor in Chief Michael Agnes.

"It never really entered the mainstream until the '90s. It broke out of high school and, boy — if you don't know what it is, you're absolutely at a loss."

The new edition will reach bookstores by May and has 58 new entries, plus another 20 new senses of existing words (such as wedgie).

The additions include Al Qaeda, blog, cargo pants, irritable bowel syndrome and partial-birth abortion.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=7&u=/ap/20050314/ap_on_fe_st/dictionary_additions

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-15 17:28]

I think Webster's dictionary should include two other well known phrases used by kids and teenagers:
"gonch launch" and "ginch pinch"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Wedgie" has made it into Webster's Dictionary!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »