Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jul 1

"Virtue signalling".

Make sure you say "virtue signalling" in all your conversations, for approximately the next 6 weeks.

People will be impressed at how up-to-speed you are.

But after 6 weeks, stop saying it, or people will feel sorry for you because you will be so... yesterday.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-its-taking-over-the-world/#

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/emily-thornberry-accuses-chuka-umunna-of-virtue-signalling-on-eu-vote

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Vice signalling Jul 1

I'd like to coin this phrase for indicating opposition to all the fashionable values embodied in virtue signalling.

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, Jack Jul 1

It's not so much the new term I mind but the action involved, which I find intolerable.

The Misha
Local time: 00:29
Russian to English
+ ...
Count me in Jul 2

Rachel Fell wrote:

It's not so much the new term I mind but the action involved, which I find intolerable.

One man's vice may well be another man's... virtue?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rapidly evolving English: today's new expression

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search