Class study on English-French translation
Thread poster: Becca Saltzman
Becca Saltzman
Becca Saltzman
United States
French to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2019

I am a Master's student in linguistics at Georgetown University. I am looking for participants for a brief pilot study for my class on second language acquisition and bilingualism. This study is for class purposes only, will not be published, and can be completed online.

If you are a native English speaker who is an amateur or professional French translator, please consider lending me a hand and participating! If you are inte
... See more
I am a Master's student in linguistics at Georgetown University. I am looking for participants for a brief pilot study for my class on second language acquisition and bilingualism. This study is for class purposes only, will not be published, and can be completed online.

If you are a native English speaker who is an amateur or professional French translator, please consider lending me a hand and participating! If you are interested, please email me at [email protected] for more information.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:24
German to English
+ ...
some confusion here Nov 11, 2019

You wrote that the study is on 2nd language acquisition and bilingualism, but your subject line says "translation". The two things are not related. Unfortunately, however, the older methods of teaching a 2nd language do sometimes use translation as a way of learning languages. How is translation related?

Besides being a senior certified translator, I also have a teaching degree, and several levels of 2nd language teaching (postgraduate) and some practical experience in that area.

Becca Saltzman
Becca Saltzman
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Maxi Nov 11, 2019

Good point! The class is centered on SLA, but it also looks at what it means to be bilingual. As you pointed out, translation is not necessarily a great teaching mechanism, but it can cast light on language proficiency, the translator's level of awareness of typological differences between their two languages, and the skill of the translator in handling these differences. The goal of my study is to explore what (if any) differences there are between someone with a lot of translation experience a... See more
Good point! The class is centered on SLA, but it also looks at what it means to be bilingual. As you pointed out, translation is not necessarily a great teaching mechanism, but it can cast light on language proficiency, the translator's level of awareness of typological differences between their two languages, and the skill of the translator in handling these differences. The goal of my study is to explore what (if any) differences there are between someone with a lot of translation experience and someone with less translation experience and therefore what (if anything) translation experience adds to a bilingual's knowledge. I hope this answers your question!Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:24
German to English
+ ...
reply to reply Nov 12, 2019

Becca Saltzman wrote:

Good point! The class is centered on SLA, but it also looks at what it means to be bilingual. As you pointed out, translation is not necessarily a great teaching mechanism, but it can cast light on language proficiency, the translator's level of awareness of typological differences between their two languages, and the skill of the translator in handling these differences. The goal of my study is to explore what (if any) differences there are between someone with a lot of translation experience and someone with less translation experience and therefore what (if anything) translation experience adds to a bilingual's knowledge. I hope this answers your question!

There may be some mixing of apples,oranges, and bananas. Translation does not reflect language proficiency, but language proficiency is a major component of translation. A key element in becoming bilingual or multilingual - i.e. acquiring the new language - is to think in that language, work in that language, without reference to another language.

Yes, a professional translator is - and must be aware of - the "typology' i.e. differences between languages. That part is pure linguistics. You need that to be able to manipulate the two languages so that language B reflects the entire meaning of language A including nuance and tone. These all happen AFTER proficiency in the 2nd language is reached. Before that, translation may actually interfere with the B language through a kind of "contamination.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.

[Edited at 2019-11-12 10:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Class study on English-French translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »