Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:24
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2005

Hello Prozians,

I was asked by the moderator of this forum to delete/take out/censor the last paragraph of this article since it was expounding a controversial political opinion. If anyone would like to read the whole article with the censored part left in, as of this date it can be found at: http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB113046173248882058-lMyQjAxMDE1MzIwOTQyNjkxWj.html

-----------------------------------------------

Hello Prozians again,

I have simply deleted the article because it was only creating controversy. For clarification, I did not write any of the article, nor do I necessarily agree with anything in it.

I have left the link up for those who would like to read it elsewhere.

Edward

Edward

[Edited at 2005-10-30 23:21]

[Edited at 2005-10-30 23:22]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-31 03:19]

[Edited at 2005-10-31 08:54]

Direct link

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Grains of Salt Oct 30, 2005

I think this sounds interesting. It also sounds like something that should be taken with grains of salt. I mean the article About the dictionary in the WSJ, not exactly a paragon of objectivity.

cheers

Direct link

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
German to English
+ ...
with Jane Oct 30, 2005

As a potential translation opportunity it's interesting. Otherwise any comment I might have would be essentially political (as is the nature of the dictionary IMO) and thus not appropriate to a Proz forum, except the general comment that any jargon surely means what its users want it to mean (as the words of a language mean what their users understand them to mean, only more so), and 'correct (re)definitions' of economic jargon must reflect a certain political perspective.

Added note: I probably should have said '( as is the nature of the dictionary as presented by the WSJ article)'

[Edited at 2005-10-30 16:34]

[Edited at 2005-10-30 20:35]

Direct link

Vidmantas Stilius  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sensation? Oct 30, 2005

I bought the dictionary a while ago (just like I buy all other dictionaries).
There is absolutely nothing special about it. I cannot find any trace of a new approach. It only may be helpful as a dictionary that gives an explanation of INCOTERMS in Lithuanian.

Vidmantas

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

George Orwell, language politics and a translation opportunity coming up

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search