Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:52
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2005

Hello Prozians,

I was asked by the moderator of this forum to delete/take out/censor the last paragraph of this article since it was expounding a controversial political opinion. If anyone would like to read the whole article with the censored part left in, as of this date it can be found at: http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB113046173248882058-lMyQjAxMDE1MzIwOTQyNjkxWj.html

-----------------------------------------------

Hello Prozians again,

I have simply deleted the article because it was only creating controversy. For clarification, I did not write any of the article, nor do I necessarily agree with anything in it.

I have left the link up for those who would like to read it elsewhere.

Edward

Edward

[Edited at 2005-10-30 23:21]

[Edited at 2005-10-30 23:22]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-31 03:19]

[Edited at 2005-10-31 08:54]

Direct link

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Grains of Salt Oct 30, 2005

I think this sounds interesting. It also sounds like something that should be taken with grains of salt. I mean the article About the dictionary in the WSJ, not exactly a paragon of objectivity.

cheers

Direct link

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
German to English
+ ...
with Jane Oct 30, 2005

As a potential translation opportunity it's interesting. Otherwise any comment I might have would be essentially political (as is the nature of the dictionary IMO) and thus not appropriate to a Proz forum, except the general comment that any jargon surely means what its users want it to mean (as the words of a language mean what their users understand them to mean, only more so), and 'correct (re)definitions' of economic jargon must reflect a certain political perspective.

Added note: I probably should have said '( as is the nature of the dictionary as presented by the WSJ article)'

[Edited at 2005-10-30 16:34]

[Edited at 2005-10-30 20:35]

Direct link

Vidmantas Stilius  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sensation? Oct 30, 2005

I bought the dictionary a while ago (just like I buy all other dictionaries).
There is absolutely nothing special about it. I cannot find any trace of a new approach. It only may be helpful as a dictionary that gives an explanation of INCOTERMS in Lithuanian.

Vidmantas

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

George Orwell, language politics and a translation opportunity coming up

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search