Times review of Steven Pinker's new book "The Stuff of Thought"
Thread poster: xxxsofiablu
xxxsofiablu
Netherlands
Local time: 23:04
Oct 25, 2007

Hi fellow Prozians, I thought you might be interested in this:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/science/article2637228.ece?EMC-Bltn

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 00:04
Turkish to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 26, 2007

Thanks. I want to get the book.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Thank you Oct 26, 2007

I really enjoyed it, very interesting! It is strange indeed to know how our brain makes up sentences in a way rather than the other. Cheers Po'!
G

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swearing.... Oct 26, 2007

Hi,

There is one part of the review of this book that caught my attention:

But why perfectly common words should be taboo — unutterable in certain social contexts — is another mystery, and the forbidden words differ widely across languages. In Djirbal, an Australian aborigine language, every word is taboo when spoken in the presence of mothers-in-law and certain cousins. A special vocabulary is needed for these relatives.

I think you don't have to go as far as Australian aborigines to find examples of this in our daily communication. For instance, when I lived in the USA, I remember that the "polite" thing when children were present was to swear (if you "had" to) using equivalents. For example, say "the F word", instead of F**** (oops, I just censored myself ).

Anyways, the book sounds really interesting.

Thanks for sharing,

Ivette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Times review of Steven Pinker's new book "The Stuff of Thought"

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search