https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/87643-times_review_of_steven_pinkers_new_book_the_stuff_of_thought.html

Times review of Steven Pinker's new book "The Stuff of Thought"
Thread poster: sofiablu (X)
sofiablu (X)
sofiablu (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 05:56
Oct 25, 2007

Hi fellow Prozians, I thought you might be interested in this:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/science/article2637228.ece?EMC-Bltn

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:56
Turkish to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 26, 2007

Thanks. I want to get the book.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Thank you Oct 26, 2007

I really enjoyed it, very interesting! It is strange indeed to know how our brain makes up sentences in a way rather than the other. Cheers Po'!
G

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swearing.... Oct 26, 2007

Hi,

There is one part of the review of this book that caught my attention:

But why perfectly common words should be taboo — unutterable in certain social contexts — is another mystery, and the forbidden words differ widely across languages. In Djirbal, an Australian aborigine language, every word is taboo when spoken in the presence of mothers-in-law and certain cousins. A special vocabulary is needed for these relatives.

I think you don't have to go as far as Australian aborigines to find examples of this in our daily communication. For instance, when I lived in the USA, I remember that the "polite" thing when children were present was to swear (if you "had" to) using equivalents. For example, say "the F word", instead of F**** (oops, I just censored myself ).

Anyways, the book sounds really interesting.

Thanks for sharing,

Ivette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Times review of Steven Pinker's new book "The Stuff of Thought"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »