https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/9577-what_do_you_think_about_the_%5Csms_language%5C.html

What do you think about the \"sms language\"?
Thread poster: sheraz
sheraz
sheraz
English to Spanish
Mar 20, 2003

From the last ten years we are receiving a huge wave of new words related to the new technologies. Besides this, due to the economy in the use of the sms our native languages are being alterred. I would like you to tell me what do you think this is for or if you agree or not with this new language.

Thank you very much

Sheraz

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:30
Member (2004)
English to French
They sure are though to translate Mar 20, 2003

Hi,

I work in telecommunications and for marketing purposes, I often have to translate sms messages. It sure is though sometimes.

Example : IluvUM&MED = Je t\'M de + en +

Nina

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Local time: 22:30
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same for italian Mar 20, 2003

Quote:

Nina

Same thing happen for Italian

EX. TVTB= Ti voglio tanto bene

there have been linguistic studies on the subject, though I do not have any reference in mind at the moment. Personally, I find it an indication of creativity and clever adaptation to the medium, though many think such things are a sort of ... See more
Quote:

Nina

Same thing happen for Italian

EX. TVTB= Ti voglio tanto bene

there have been linguistic studies on the subject, though I do not have any reference in mind at the moment. Personally, I find it an indication of creativity and clever adaptation to the medium, though many think such things are a sort of linguistic corruption, axpecially as they enter \"standard\" contexts. ▲ Collapse

Silvia Ferrero
Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
SMS is just fine...for mobiles Mar 21, 2003

I think sms language is fine...as long as people can distinguish it from standard language. It is true it is a creative form of language and adapted to nowadays technology, as you have said, but the problem is with those speakers of the language who then try to write on a piece of paper and they cannot seem to remember their own language. SMS makes communication faster, especially with mobiles where you have a fixed number of characters you can fit in a message, but it should stick to that.

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Russian to English
+ ...
;-( Mar 22, 2003

i fink itz a a load of old o o o o z

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about the \"sms language\"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »