https://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software/78500-developer_help_me_to_run_trados_on_linux.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Developer - Help me to run Trados on Linux
Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
German to French
+ ...
Jul 14, 2007

Hi,

I still want to run Trados on Linux through Wine. OmegaT is seriously not reaching my needs and I don't want to give up on a software that I bought for quite a lot of money.

I will then describe the steps I took to install it and the problems I am running, maybe some of you can give me some advice. If I write it on Wine homepage, I am pretty sure no one will look at that software to help me. Some functions are missing, but most of all, I would need a patch so that T
... See more
Hi,

I still want to run Trados on Linux through Wine. OmegaT is seriously not reaching my needs and I don't want to give up on a software that I bought for quite a lot of money.

I will then describe the steps I took to install it and the problems I am running, maybe some of you can give me some advice. If I write it on Wine homepage, I am pretty sure no one will look at that software to help me. Some functions are missing, but most of all, I would need a patch so that Trados can communicate with the unix system and unless you can replicate the installation, no one will ever know what is needed.

First you have to install Java for linux, MS office can also be installed on Wine (as per the instructions on the website).

Then you have to add Internet Explorer. The version 6 you can install on wine is not running properly but the files are installed and that is enough for synergy and co.

Then you have to install .NET environment. Only once you installed IE you can install .NET environment. You have to add the following dlls.:

msvcr70.dll
fusion.dll
mscorwks.dll.

Now for Trados:
When you are running the installation for the first time, there is a runtime error aborting the installation.
I found out that one of the dll is missing:

Msvcirdt.dll
Msvcp50.dll
Msvcp60.dll
Mscvrt.dll
Mscvrt20.dll
Msvcrt40.dll
Mscvrdt.dll

Then other problem, the SXS directory in Wine is non existent to not developed.
I am copying the sxs directory from Windows to Wine but then I have the error R60434. The dlls for Trados are copied in the sxs directory, however, wine is not so far as to load the dlls from there (remember, if the directory is not there when installing, the interface for this is surely not there yet).

2. Problem: not all dlls for visual basic are there. The Trados.dot is installing fine but at the best Word is deactivating macros, at the worst it is not even recognizing Visual Basic.

Last but not least, Trados copy protection. It is trying to access to check the hardware but can't. Is there a patch for it being able to call on an unix system instead of Windows.

Here it is:
fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP000.TMP\\" 00000000
fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP001.TMP\\" 00000000

The ones who know about copy protection knows about what it means.

Maybe nobody will ever answer me, but if somebody knowing about programming under Unix understand what is needed, and think about it even 5 minutes, you will have made my day.
I have no knowledge of programming but I know the copy protection is the biggest barrier. As SDLX used to crash, thus not reaching the licensing tool, Workbench could open in demo mode. Now I only have the error message because of the copy protection.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:21
English to German
+ ...
While you are at it.. Jul 14, 2007

I have no idea how to make Trados run on Linux, but you could try to install Déjà Vu X.

DVX can process at least as many file types as Trados (and has a nicer user interface) and if you take the version with a code instead of a dongle (like the demo version for 30 days) it should run on Wine, theoretically..

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.NET Jul 14, 2007

The problem with all Translation software is that they are using the .NET because of the TM. I have yet not seen any tool that has everything integrated, and when you are using a dongle there is also probably a system checking that you are not opening 2 windows, in this case I would be back to the problem of wine not checking the system.

I think the copy protection has 2 reasons:

avoiding the reverse engineering of the licensing tool (so that nobody write their own lice
... See more
The problem with all Translation software is that they are using the .NET because of the TM. I have yet not seen any tool that has everything integrated, and when you are using a dongle there is also probably a system checking that you are not opening 2 windows, in this case I would be back to the problem of wine not checking the system.

I think the copy protection has 2 reasons:

avoiding the reverse engineering of the licensing tool (so that nobody write their own license)
checking that I am only using the license once (trying to connect themselves with the harware IP for instance).

One wine, they use the word "crack". I donT' like this word because it would me I would not respect the intellectual property. I have a license for windows, for word and for Trados so I am not trying to get out without paying a license.

I just don't want to use windows anymore.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:21
English to German
+ ...
Wrong emulator? Jul 14, 2007

Have you checked Marc's article about Windows emulators?

http://www.marcprior.de/linux/windows.html

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Why don't use Trados with Windows? Jul 14, 2007

You can run Linux AND Windows at the same time. I have not tried it but for 30 $ (if it works) you don't need to loose your time on it.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/

http://www.vmware.com/

[Edited at 2007-07-14 11:09]

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
But Jul 14, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:

Have you checked Marc's article about Windows emulators?

http://www.marcprior.de/linux/windows.html

Emulators was yesterday, now is all virtual and parallel

Or am I wrong?

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados and emulator Jul 14, 2007

I know trados had an old page where they said how it was working on an emulator. However it was with a dongle. Now Trados does not have a dongle anymore but a licensing tool which is not installing. I have to trade my dongle to a soft license to upgrade. This page also disappeared

Re. Virtual and parallel,

I want as far as I can avoid it because I do not want to have to install Vista anytime. I do not agree with the way Vista is heading, that's why I went to Linux.
... See more
I know trados had an old page where they said how it was working on an emulator. However it was with a dongle. Now Trados does not have a dongle anymore but a licensing tool which is not installing. I have to trade my dongle to a soft license to upgrade. This page also disappeared

I want as far as I can avoid it because I do not want to have to install Vista anytime. I do not agree with the way Vista is heading, that's why I went to Linux.
Having it virtual under Linux is to get a severe flu to remedy against a small cold. My computer will be at the mercy of virus, uncontrolled automatic updates, I would need a windows firewall and anti virus just to get windows popping in all the time and telling me that xxx software is not up to date.

My Linux has a firewall and an antivirus for which I don't have to pay a yearly fee, the yearly fee for the whole system (with support) is up to the price of the antivirus software.

Second reason for trying to use wine and not a parallel desktop is the needed RAM windows and Vista would be demanding. I want to have a trados be running at pace for which I don't have to take a nap between each segment. Already under Wine, Word is telling me I don't have enough RAM with 1 MB when I click on the open segment despite of the error notices.

Running Trados on Word on top of Vista on top of Linux would be catastrophic. You would need 4 MB and I am not sure that you would get enough speed to work properly.

If you have other alternative where I can open Trados from the Gnome menu (like it is working with word), I am all ears, but Trados is a very greedy
tool, like some have to close all other windows, I need to avoid layers.

P.S. one thing I love about Linux is that an update is checking for dependencies - this means an update of the system because of one software will never crash another software like it happened to me in Windows. In Windows is each software updating (without even telling you) without checking what you are using and if the update could conflict with something else. You are then surprise to find an automatic update that crashed your sound card. Wow. And you tell me I should install Windows on my computer ?! The next thing will be that Microsoft will send you an automatic update through your virtual windows to crash your Linux host.

[Edited at 2007-07-14 11:53]
Collapse

Neven Luetic
Neven Luetic  Identity Verified
Germany
Croatian to German
+ ...
Trados under Linux/wine Jul 14, 2007

I do believe you should post your questions to the wine mailinglist (ok - I don't have much hope, you will get your problems solved there either).

I have been doing various kind of programming under different Unix flavours and am now working parttime as a Linux system administrator.

As wine is basically an API replacement for the Windows libraries your questions don't relate to anything that requires Linux expertise. All those dll's you installed are used by wine and
... See more
I do believe you should post your questions to the wine mailinglist (ok - I don't have much hope, you will get your problems solved there either).

I have been doing various kind of programming under different Unix flavours and am now working parttime as a Linux system administrator.

As wine is basically an API replacement for the Windows libraries your questions don't relate to anything that requires Linux expertise. All those dll's you installed are used by wine and are expected to work as they do in Windows. Everything that goes wrong here is either related to wine's lack of support of what you are trying to do or may be to wine's Windows configuration.
For example: Of course you can do some kind of "hardwarechecks" under Linux, but it is necassary to make the Trados setup program think, that it is successfully performing the *Windows* hardware check. So it is wine's task to somehow achieve this. It is definitly not a matter of 5 min - wine is being developed for a very, very long time. From what you are describing it seems that wine is just not capable yet of supporting an application like Trados and I wouldn't expect this to change soon.

In my opinion with a system as complex as Trados the way to go is a Linux-based system. As there is a Mac OS X version of TRADOS it shouldn't be very difficult to port it to Linux. Why not ask them? Perhaps there is a way to even install the Max OS X version on Linux - at least this is a Unix-flavour.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Maybe Jul 14, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Having it virtual under Linux is to get a severe flu to remedy ...

P.S. one thing I love about Linux is that an update is checking for dependencies - this means an update of the system because of one software will never crash another software like it happened to me in Windows. In Windows is each software updating (without even telling you) without checking what you are using and if the update could conflict with something else. You are then surprise to find an automatic update that crashed your sound card. Wow. And you tell me I should install Windows on my computer ?! The next thing will be that Microsoft will send you an automatic update through your virtual windows to crash your Linux host.

[Edited at 2007-07-14 11:53]

Maybe Heartsome could be good for you.

http://www.heartsome.net/

I dont think Trados could work good in Linux...

Hier in DE:
http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2005/04/058-translation/index.html

For me is very easy, I work with Trados not with Windows or Linux.

So I use Windows

But I still think that a modern PC with Parallels and 2 GB RAM could work good with Trados 7 and Windows XP SP2 + Linux

In fact, my next PC will be a Mac with Parallels, Trados in Windows and the rest Mac OS

I think so: the relation Time spent in my PC - Money a earn is good. I will not be the same relation if I spend my time changing OS and all my already learned Keys automation, paths and so would goes banana...

Regards

[Edited at 2007-07-14 15:08]

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you have a link to a MAC Trados??? Jul 14, 2007

I have never seen it and if I remember well there are a couple of persons who would LOVE having a Trados for their MAC.

The way I am seeing it, if SDL would be interested, there could be a way of running it.

I know that Novell is working on the Visual Basic of Windows under Open Office (that is probably one of the reasons they entered in an agreement with Windows). On the novell Open Office edition, they could make a link to a .dot file for the macros between Open Offic
... See more
I have never seen it and if I remember well there are a couple of persons who would LOVE having a Trados for their MAC.

The way I am seeing it, if SDL would be interested, there could be a way of running it.

I know that Novell is working on the Visual Basic of Windows under Open Office (that is probably one of the reasons they entered in an agreement with Windows). On the novell Open Office edition, they could make a link to a .dot file for the macros between Open Office and Trados.

I know that Novell is working on Mono that should replace the .NET and there is a converter to quickly convert the source code for NET for mono.

Java is already working on Linux.

If they were the smallest interest on the side of SDL, Novell had the capacity to make Trados working solely under Linux (provided they give Novell the source code).

There is no interest of any side either. Novell told me about Trados that is out of their realm. Wine will not be interested because there are not enough interested people for it. SDL ist not even thinking of spending time about this.

I think if the next Trados comes out and there is nothing about Windows, I would have to sell my license again for Wordfast (which I hope will develop all the filters too).

[Edited at 2007-07-14 12:26]
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Macs Jul 14, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

I ran Trados on two older Macs using Virtual PC. On one it worked fine; on the other, it kept crashing and corrupting the volume.

New Macs, as I understand it, can run Windows natively in parallel to MacOS, Linux, or whatever else one can convince the hardware to boot into.

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Maybe it's wrong start Jul 14, 2007

[quote]Yolande Haneder wrote:

Hi,

I still want to run Trados on Linux through Wine.

Dear Yolande
according to SDL instructions, you should avoid the usage of Wine for running Trados.

Is it possible to run TRADOS software under Linux?

EXPLANATION

TRADOS software has been developed for use under Microsoft Windows operating systems. However, as emulation software is getting more and more reliable, this opens the possibility to also run TRADOS software on Linux platforms. This article describes the steps that are necessary to achieve this with the help of VMware, which is a popular computer emulation software solution for Linux (and Windows) platforms that allows to install various operating systems into virtual PCs.

STEPS

1. Install VMware Workstation version 2.x or 3.x onto your Linux platform.
2. Create a new virtual disk file using VMware Workstation and install a Windows operating system into this file.
3. Tip: For a list of supported Windows platforms, refer to the Readme file that is shipped with your TRADOS software. For detailed instructions about creating a virtual disk file and installing an operating system into this file, refer to the VMware manual and online help that is shipped with the emulation software. For detailed instructions on how to install a Windows operating system refer to the documentation that is shipped with the operating system of your choice. In order to ensure that your virtual Windows system detects the TRADOS dongle, make sure that you have either a parallel or a USB port (depending on the type of dongle that you have ordered) selected as a part of your virtual hardware in the Configuration Editor in VMware.
4. Install the TRADOS software onto the virtual Windows operating system.
5. Now you are ready to use TRADOS software as on any physical computer that has a Windows platform installed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The following information deals with the kernel pre-requisites that should be matched in order to allow your virtual disk to smoothly operate with the TRADOS dongle:

* In order to use the parallel port of your virtual disk (needed to detect the TRADOS parallel port dongle), you should have parallel port support compiled into your Linux kernel. Most of the recent Linux distributions automatically compile parallel port support into the kernel during setup, so you will most likely not have to worry about this.

* In order to use the USB port of your virtual disk (needed to detect the TRADOS USB dongle), you should have USB port support compiled into your Linux kernel. USB ports are supported since Linux kernel version 2.4.0. We strongly recommend that you use a Linux kernel version higher then 2.4.14 as earlier kernel versions had only limited USB support.

NOTE

TRADOS does not officially support the Linux operating system. This is why you use the setup described in this article at your own risk.

REFERENCE

As an alternative to VMware, you can also try Win4Lin, published by NeTraverse, Inc. Win4Lin requires a special kernel to be installed on you Linux system.

As an open source Windows emulator for Unix, Wine emulates the Windows APIs rather then a complete virtual PC, this is why it would most likely not work with TRADOS, but you can still try it.

Please be aware of the fact that TRADOS software has not been tested using Win4Lin or Wine.

Article ID: 1053
Created: Thursday, March 14, 2002 6:55:40 AM
Last updated: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 7:20:38 AM

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1053

That's my point...

Marko

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 comments about it Jul 14, 2007

1. This is 5 years old. Wine is now much different that it had been in 2002.
If I remember well, at that time, wine was not even in Beta.
About virtual computer, I said above what I thought of it. If I have to run Vista, I have to agree that Microsoft may destroy my software through his updates. I am not agreeing to it. End of the story. For the same reason, I reinstalled windows with the stand of 2004 and am not making an update. Someday, XP will be too insecure to work with it (at
... See more
1. This is 5 years old. Wine is now much different that it had been in 2002.
If I remember well, at that time, wine was not even in Beta.
About virtual computer, I said above what I thought of it. If I have to run Vista, I have to agree that Microsoft may destroy my software through his updates. I am not agreeing to it. End of the story. For the same reason, I reinstalled windows with the stand of 2004 and am not making an update. Someday, XP will be too insecure to work with it (at the moment, a router, a firewall and an antivirus software updating nearly every day + daily backup seem to be enough). I however, after 2 months of playing around, start to get a taste of Linux and I am only using Windows for Trados.

2. If nothing had changed, the new MS Office Version for Mac is coming WITHOUT support for VBA (had been announced from Microsoft last year). This will mean at the latest end of the story between Trados and Office.

[Edited at 2007-07-14 15:45]

[Edited at 2007-07-14 15:46]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Of course! Jul 14, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

2. If nothing had changed, the new MS Office Version for Mac is coming WITHOUT support for VBA (had been announced from Microsoft last year). This will mean at the latest end of the story between Trados and Office.

[Edited at 2007-07-14 15:45]

[Edited at 2007-07-14 15:46]

They start with Office 2003 trying to "change" to XML structure but still compatible with VBA, so I don't see a future for Workbench, Wordfast and all tools based in VBA, but Tageditor is making a good work afaik cause no need of VBA. It may be the end of Workbench. But not Tageditor.
I hear also, that Wordfast is planning (working on it) a Java editor...

.... just thinking loud

And, if you use Linux, and windows at the same time as a virtual machine, I don't thing it is dangerous to get a virus or so, cause you don't need to access to the net with Windows, isn't it?

I work with Tageditor, Dragon and 2 Dics.... so, no way to change ;-( ...and with Photoshop.

[Edited at 2007-07-14 19:28]

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:21
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What do you want to do - translate? Jul 14, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Then you have to add Internet Explorer. The version 6 you can install on wine is not running properly but the files are installed and that is enough for synergy and co.

From http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-69ca5e820c6eef64196e1830bf7f09521c2a4843:

"How do I install Internet Explorer in Wine?

In short; you don't. Trying to install IE in Wine will more than likely break things due to the components and registry entries that it installs. If you need to install applications in Wine that require Internet Explorer then you install Wine's IE replacement which consists of two parts.

First you install the Gecko IE engine replacement by running the following in the terminal; wine iexplore http://www.winehq.org

The second part is installing the registry entries to fool programs; Go to http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys scroll down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then add the "Internet Explorer" keys using regedit."

Bergazy wrote:

TRADOS does not officially support the Linux operating system. This is why you use the setup described in this article at your own risk.

Sorry - I am not a geek, but is this really worth the hassle, and the risk?

Chris

[Edited at 2007-07-14 22:56]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Developer - Help me to run Trados on Linux

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »