Looking for the original Russian title &/or the Polish title of a Chekhov short story
Thread poster: Caryl Swift

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:10
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me? I need the original Russian title of a short story by Anton Chekhov. And, if possible, I also need the Polish title - if it's been translated, that is. The English title is The Exclamation Mark and there's a brief summary of it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exclamation-Mark-Hesperus-Classics/dp/1843911744

All help will be most gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!
Caryl

[Edited at 2009-01-28 23:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Alexandrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:10
English to Russian
+ ...
ВОСКЛИЦАТЕЛЬНЫЙ ЗНАК Jan 28, 2009

In Russian it is literally ВОСКЛИЦАТЕЛЬНЫЙ ЗНАК.

See, for instance, http://www.ostrovok.de/old/classics/chekhov/story078.htm

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent! Jan 28, 2009

Большое спасибо!

Alexandra Taggart  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
Восклицательный знак Jan 29, 2009

The name of the story is "Christmas-tide story", these words go underneath the title line with "The exclaimation mark": "Yephim Fomich... and then everything that followed became one exclaimation mark...".

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jan 29, 2009

Alexondra, for your help.It seems the most current English translation ignores the Christmas title - as does the Polish one, if you have a look here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/polish/126239-looking_for_the_polish_title_of_a_chekhov_short_story.html

I wonder why?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Caryl

[Edited at 2009-01-29 11:00 GMT]

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
"Christmas-tide" or "Christmas eve story" Jan 29, 2009

is original name. That what someone ignored or has or has not (that someone) a right to ignore - is a different soap opera.

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
The Soviets may removed it and the translation you read was made after 1917, because: Jan 29, 2009

ВОСКЛИЦАТЕЛЬНЫЙ ЗНАК
(Святочный рассказ)

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possibly something to do with Dickens? Jan 29, 2009

Yes, I'm sorry, I did take the point, but probably didn't make it clear - thank you!

The fact is, though, that your information sent my thoughts off down the sidetrack of the different soap opera! Wondering why people made that choice - I'm not going to say the translators, specifically, because I suppose it could just as likely have been a publisher's editor - or even the publishing house itself.

I was wondering if the Dickens novel might have influenced the decision? I can't see how it would affect the English translation, I have to say, since it's A Christmas Carol - so there's quite a difference between that and the original title of the Chekhov story. But perhaps an editor or publisher thought they were too close for comfort? Or perhaps it was a marketing-orientated decision - someone, somewhere, thinking that The Exclamation Mark was a 'snappier' or 'catchier' title...?

However, the literal translation of the Polish title of A Christmas Carol is A Christmas Eve Story, so perhaps, in that case, the translator or publisher went for the original Russian sub-title to avoid any confusion?

Anyway, thank you again for your information - and I'm sorry to keep haring off after a different plot!

Kind regards,
Caryl

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Jan 29, 2009

I didn't see your most recent post because I was writing my reply to you. Yes, indeed, if the original title was removed, that might have been the cause. Depends when the translations were made, I suppose. I shall have to try and find out.

[Edited at 2009-01-29 11:50 GMT]

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
Original translation Jan 29, 2009

Oh, dear...Some archives of big libriares in Poland shold have both and original in Russian and original translation into Polish and English. We can not blame the translator which has not fully translated the title of the story of the book you have in your hand, he probably was not supplied with it as material for his work.

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
Could be difficult... Jan 29, 2009

I would like to say my "sorry" to you, I simply do not have enough of patience and my consentration is pretty much low today, I hope this would help: http://www.google.ru/search?hl=ru&newwindow=1&q=Antony%20Chekhov%20"Christmas%20eve%20story"&btnG=Поиск&lr=&aq=f&oq=

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Goodness! Jan 29, 2009

Why are you apologising? You've been very helpful indeed! And thank you for the link!

Hope you feel perkier before too long!

Kind regards,
Caryl

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for the original Russian title &/or the Polish title of a Chekhov short story

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search