Nobel Prize - Mario Vargas Llosa
Thread poster: Marcela Robaina Boyd
Marcela Robaina Boyd  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2010

And the winner is.... (drums) Mario Vargas Llosa. The Peruvian writer and politician.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
At last!! Oct 7, 2010

It is absolutely and completely fair. This is a man who, like it or not, has done a ton for Spanish literature... but also peace and liberty.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
Äntligen! Oct 7, 2010

Not sure if you already know Tomás, but there is/was this guy who used to hang around waiting for the announcement. And regardless who won he'd shout "äntligen" (at last).

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wonderful news Oct 7, 2010

This is wonderful news. MVL is my favorite contemporary writer in the Spanish language (my two favorite novels being *The War of the End of the World* and *The Feast of the Goat*). A new novel of his (*El Sueno del Celta*) is scheduled for publication and distribution next month.

And (to echo Tomas) in his newspaper column, he has consistently been a voice of reason and liberty.

Congratulations to a giant of Latin American literature.

[Edited at 2010-10-07 14:53 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quite puzzling... Oct 7, 2010

Robert Forstag wrote:
And (to echo Tomas) in his newspaper column, he has consistently been a voice of reason and liberty.

It is just funny: Vargas Llosa is recognised as a champion of human rights and political liberty in the whole world... but the people who dispute this unmistaken commitment are those (politicians, social leaders) who should be defending human rights and freedom in the region where Vargas Llosa comes from.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maybe... Oct 7, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

It is just funny: Vargas Llosa is recognised as a champion of human rights and political liberty in the whole world... but the people who dispute this unmistaken commitment are those (politicians, social leaders) who should be defending human rights and freedom in the region where Vargas Llosa comes from.

I've only skimmed through Swedish media today and have no real knowledge of Vargas Llosa's political allegiance, but from the comments made by left-leaning "authorities" it appears that MVL has being moving right in his later years. From socio-liberal towards neo/market-liberal.

Caveat: not my view (cause I ain't got one), just what I've picked up from Swedish media today.

Edited to add that I would also put quotes around "authorities" if they were right-leaning. I just don't like persons who claim to speak for everyone.

[Edited at 2010-10-07 19:53 GMT]

Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Labels Oct 7, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

I've only skimmed through Swedish media today and have no real knowledge of Vargas Llosa's political allegiance, but from the comments made by left-leaning "authorities" it appears that MVL has being moving right in his later years. From socio-liberal towards neo/market-liberal.

Caveat: not my view (cause I ain't got one), just what I've picked up from Swedish media today.

Edited to add that I would also put quotes around "authorities" if they were right-leaning. I just don't like persons who claim to speak for everyone.

[Edited at 2010-10-07 19:53 GMT]

In Latin America, anyone who is not a leftist is deemed to be "neo-liberal". On this subject, I would strongly recommend Alvaro Vargas Llosa's (MVL's son) "Guide to the Perfect Latin American Idiot".

Whatever label press puts on MVL, he is one of the handful of latin american writers who don't praise dictatorships.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Finally! Oct 9, 2010

As many say, he waited year after year, and finally received the prize. Though I never liked his books (overabundance of bad words, and topics such as prostitution, politics and violence), the whole country is happy because for the first time we have a Nobel Prize winner.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nobel Prize - Mario Vargas Llosa

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search