Off topic: Blind Man's Beauty
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:57
Spanish to English
Dec 6, 2010

I can't recommend this radio programme enough, it about what blind people find beautiful. It will become available in a couple of hours, but then only for seven days, unfortunately

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008qs4b

Enjoy

Direct link Reply with quote

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Dec 6, 2010

Thanks for that link Lesley. I will definitely check it out.

Peter White is very good. Today on BBC radio 4, I heard him describing how he negotiated his way to work via a completely new route because they've closed a building and moved everything he is used to. He gave a real insight into what it must be like getting around a city when you are blind (and how much easier it is on London buses now that they announce the name of the next stop - when they remember to turn it on!).

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Thank you, Lesley! Dec 6, 2010

Like Gilla, I heard Peter White earlier - a favourite broadcaster of mine for many years.

I enjoyed hearing John Hull, an old friend from Birmingham, describing how he can feel the presence of trees.

BBC Radio is full of beautiful things.

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:57
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Blind Man's Beauty Dec 6, 2010

Yes, I actually heard this programme years ago, and found the descriptions fascinating, that is why I decided to put this in the poetry and literature sections.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:57
English to Croatian
+ ...
John Milton Dec 6, 2010

When I saw "Blind Man's Beauty" title in Literature/Poetry forums, I immediately thought of the blind English poet John Milton.

Echolocation is also used by some animals, such as bats, it's fascinating.

How do blind people dream? Apparently if they were born blind, they only dream sounds, shapes, tactile sensations and scents. If they lost their vision throughout their life, then they can also dream some images that had been encrypted in the brain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blind Man's Beauty

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search