International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Off topic: McTeague - A Story of San Francisco (by Frank Norris) (help with term paper)
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 05:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

Has anyone here read McTeague? It's considered one of the greatest American naturalist/realist novels.

I'm writing a term paper on it, and I'm halfway through, and I already read the novel, but a while ago, so there are details I don't remember. And my head hurts...
I got migraine.

So, I'm asking for help, pretty please with whipping cream? and a cherry on top? with chocolate syrup? O:)

If anyone's interested in helping me, please leave a message, and I'll post the questions that I need help with.

Oh and I've already searched online, but there isn't much information, I don't know why.

Thank you!

~*T.*~

Direct link Reply with quote

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
McTeague Apr 10, 2004

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:
.. and I already read the novel, but a while ago

Dear Maria Teresa, speaking as an old English teacher, I'd have to say that I can't imagine writing a term paper on a novel that I haven't just read and taken notes on. Don't you have the book right next to you? I really don't mean this in an unfriendly way. Just trying to be helpful.
Best wishes, Kim

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
too many projects at the same time Apr 10, 2004

Well, it is like this. Last Wednesday (4 days ago) I got the questions on this novel at the same time I got the questions on another term paper for the same class, which are both due next Wednesday. I'd already read the novel some time ago (circumstances don't matter, long story), and since the questions are pretty specific, I'd have to read the novel again to answer them, and I don't have the time, what with the questions on the other readings (also on American Naturalism), a freelance translation job due next Thursday, my regular job, and two other final projects for classes due also next week.

So, please do not think I'm lazy or that I'm procrastinating or anything. I really need help.

Thanks
~*T.*~

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Is this site any use to you? Apr 12, 2004

Found the following on
http://www.abacci.com/books.asp?bookID=1304
Maybe their 7-day free trial would be useful.

McTeague by Frank Norris

Researching "McTeague" for a term paper or essay?
Search eLibrary for articles on McTeague by Frank Norris
Sign up for a free 7 day trial with eLibrary to gain full access to a database of thousands of articles, reviews and news items.

What one reviewer, Kevin Starr, said about McTeague: A Story of San Francisco (Twentieth Century Classics) by Frank Norris:

Frank Norris's McTeague was a wonderfully descriptive novel, displaying the concepts of man vs. nature, man vs. man, and the animalistic instincts that have been inherited through evolution. I thought the novel overall was a literary allusion to great classic tragedies, such as Oedipus and Shakespeare's Othello. Naturalism is the main concept of the novel. Through imagery, metaphors, and similies, Norris displays the role of man in relation to nature. In McTeague, the author seems to interpret all the evil within man as a result of the animalistic intincts that have been inherited by evolution. In the early chapters, you find the "animal" in McTeague is too strong for him to resist. "It was the battle, old as the world, wide as the world, the sudden panther leap of the animal, lips drawn, fangs aflash, hideous, monstrous, not to be resisted...the better self that cries, that grips the monster; that fights to strangle it, to thrust it down and back," (McTeague, page 21). Fate is also an issue in this novel. Norris portays the relationship of McTeague and Trina as "mates by chance," similar to that of animals. They were destined mates, a relationship that could not have been avoided even if they wanted, for it was fated that they be together. To me, fate and nature seem to be one and the same in this novel. They are the key factors, for all the crucial events that affect the lives of the characters. After reading this book, I could feel the clashing of creation vs. evolution. It was the typical tale of the tragic hero who starts off well and ends up at the bottom. The ending was spectacular. The reader is shown the concepts of man vs. nature and natural selection. I enjoyed the book becuase it had suspense, obsession, and tragedy.

[Edited at 2004-04-12 07:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

McTeague - A Story of San Francisco (by Frank Norris) (help with term paper)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search