Go see the play "Chinglish"!
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
German to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2011

If you are a translator or interpreter in Chicago or New York, I highly recommend that you go see the play "Chinglish." I just saw it last night at the Goodman in Chicago, but I believe it will travel to NYC soon. It's a play about a US businessman who travels to China to land a deal making signs for a new cultural center. The performance is half in Chinese (with surtitles) and half in English and revolves around linguistic and cultural misunderstandings. Very funny!

http://www.goodmantheatre.org/season/Production.aspx?prod=114

PS Yes, they call an interpreter a "translator," and interpreters are portrayed as rather bumbling, but it's good nonetheless!

[Edited at 2011-07-20 12:46 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Commentary by the playwright Oct 17, 2011

http://www.broadway.com/shows/chinglish/buzz/158044/playwright-david-henry-hwang-on-crossing-the-language-barrier-with-chinglish/

Seriously, go see this if you can!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Go see the play "Chinglish"!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search