Spain - VAT on literature
Thread poster: Shar1
Shar1
Shar1
Local time: 04:04
French to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2012

I'm sure this has been discussed many times already, but I haven't found any recent threads and I am concerned that the situation may have changed with the changes to the VAT rates. I am based in Spain and have to invoice a Spanish company for the translation of a book. I understand that it is not necessary to charge VAT, and that I have to state "IVA exento según apdo. 26, punto 1º Artíc. 20 de Ley 37/1992 del IVA" on the invoice.

Those of you who translate literature, could
... See more
I'm sure this has been discussed many times already, but I haven't found any recent threads and I am concerned that the situation may have changed with the changes to the VAT rates. I am based in Spain and have to invoice a Spanish company for the translation of a book. I understand that it is not necessary to charge VAT, and that I have to state "IVA exento según apdo. 26, punto 1º Artíc. 20 de Ley 37/1992 del IVA" on the invoice.

Those of you who translate literature, could you confirm this for me? I don't want to get it wrong in case Hacienda later decides to charge me...

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still exempt AFAIK Nov 9, 2012

As far as I know, translation of scientific research and literary works is still VAT-free in Spain, although it may not be long until the spendthrift, moneygrubbing politicians sink their fangs into that too...

My bills for this kind of text feature "IVA exento según ley 37/1992 del Diciembre, Art. 20.1.9" in the IVA section on the invoice.

My institutional clients (universities, foundations, research groups, etc) have some pretty picky accountants and I'm quite sure t
... See more
As far as I know, translation of scientific research and literary works is still VAT-free in Spain, although it may not be long until the spendthrift, moneygrubbing politicians sink their fangs into that too...

My bills for this kind of text feature "IVA exento según ley 37/1992 del Diciembre, Art. 20.1.9" in the IVA section on the invoice.

My institutional clients (universities, foundations, research groups, etc) have some pretty picky accountants and I'm quite sure they'd let me know if they suddenly had to pay VAT on the stuff they send me, so until then, or until I find out from somewhere else, I'll continue as I have so far, rather than possibly draw attention to the fact by making enquiries...

[Edited at 2012-11-09 09:36 GMT]
Collapse

Shar1
Shar1
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Siento ser pesada pero... Nov 9, 2012

Estaría muy agradecida si alguien me pudiera ayudar con esta duda. ¡Gracias!

Shar1
Shar1
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nielmac Nov 9, 2012

Thanks Nielmac. Your answer is very helpful and I shall prepare the invoice as you suggest.

My customer told me I could "invoice us with or without IVA, whatever you normally do" which I found quite perplexing, particularly as it is a publishing company, so they must be quite used to that sort of thing.

By the way, this is the first time I've used the forums and I was getting worried that nobody would reply! I'll be more patient next time.

Thanks again.

Shar1
Shar1
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Nov 9, 2012

Should it be 20.1.9 or 20.1.26? It's literature, but it will be used for educational purposes, so I suppose it could be either?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spain - VAT on literature

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »